subwooferability ???

This thread is an off shoot of the crossover debate in the Hometheater forum.
Do you think that consumer grade subwoofers are able to handle the signals produced by the LFE channel AND five to seven other channels of bass.This has only been addressed by one manufacturer,whise (profunder).What are your thoughts ?
kgveteran
New kid on the block "Art of Sound". REL amplifier technology with better drivers and box design. Quality and beauty. Any bass management, be it in the processor or as EQ on the sub will help. shy away from boom boxes.
I just can't believe it cost 11000.00 to get a LFE sub.Give me 11000.00 and i'll build you a sub that will put it to shame.For that kind of money I'll make you breakfast,wash and wax your car and pick the kids up from school,after I vacuum the pool!
Very doubtful you could build something that would "put it to shame". I've heard countless home builts and while they are usually very good...they all miss critical elements such as the transient snap. Keep in mind...this thing is not only capable of deep bass...it is also squeaky clean up into the 350hz range since it can also be mated to the big PMC BB-5 reference monitors as an additional woofer section. Try putting a 350hz signal thru most really large subwoofers and watch them absolutely fall apart. Think that doesn't make a difference? You would be wrong. The amount of tuning required to build this big transmission line monster would take the average builder months. It took PMC several years of development to get every element right and produce a piece capable of 124 db of clean, fast, tight, tuneful and fist of god powerful bass from 14hz to 350hz. Keep in mind, that price also includes a $3000 power amp to go with it. While you could spend less, I've found there is nothing better to mate with it.
Two subs that I am leaning towards seem fairly capable of reproducing both LFE and the bass from multi-channel music. The new Velodyne Digital Drive line (probably a DD-12), or Thiel SW1 are on my short list.

Tom.
More to discover