A few questions for Green Mountain Europa owners

I am considering these speakers and had a few questions. What are your overall impressions? What amp are you running them with? What types of music do they do best? Can you tell me of areas where they fall a little short?
thanks,

Chris
128x128tcbannon
Chris...after an exhaustive search that included too many brands to mention...I have found sonic nirvana with the Europas...and as Roy from GMA likes to profess...the sound of a phasecorrect speaker is ONE coherent sound...not two drivers out of phase...at any rate...one could use standard phrases like soundstaging,transparency,etc...but the key area the GMAs excel in is musical INVOLVEMENT...they transport one right into the performance...they are a bit unforgiving of poor recordings(ie. uncolored)...and obiviously one doesnt expect 20hz bass from a monitor...but they do not sound thin...they also require a listening distance of 8-10 ft which means they are not a great choice for near field listening...in my 20 x 16 room they sound HUGE...I am using NAD power and a cheap Sony cd/sacd and it sounds great...
Thanks Phasecorrect-
I must point that we hear the Europas reveal poor cables (interconnects), which too often make a sound (a grunge if you will) all of us interpret as poor recordings or poor CD players. With the finer interconnects, you would hear that the Europas are not too hard at all on poor recordings. Even while using $1/foot 12ga speaker wire.

Poor cables we find, also color our judgement of exactly how quick and clean and subtle any amplifier is.

Please note that the 8-10 feet is wrong, as Europas can be enjoyed fully at 5 feet away (ear level = woofer center) to as far away as 30+ feet (ear level = slightly above tweeter's dome). One could also tilt them back/forth a little to fine tune. Use audience applause as the fastest/first test.

This info on ear height vs. speaker height is in our manuals (Phasecorrect- if you need a new copy, just holler).

Any 10-12foot rating applies only to 3-way first-order speakers (if the drivers are fixed in position), as that is probably a designer's focal point for average rooms for sofa height... You cannot raise or tilt that cabinet to make those three+ fixed drivers all lie upon another, different radius arc. We can however, can come close enough when moving/adjusting a two-way.

Best regards and happy holidays,
Roy Johnson
Green Mountain Audio
Chris - I have posted my impressions here on other europa related posts - but in a few words - my thoughts are clear, articulate, transparent, involving, great soundstaging, tight bass, nice extended airy top end without being harsh, amazingly coherent. The timing of my music has changed a bit, for the better, and I think its because of how well integrated they are. I hear things I used to miss with other speakers (and I had a pair of very very well respected electrostatic hybrids before these). I use a levinson 331 amp with them. I don't feel they fall short in any way. Give them a listen - I'm sure you will be glad you did.