Add a subwoofer or not for two channel only?

All:

My system is coming along very nicely, and I think I have things where I want them, but . . I would like a bit more bass. The problem is, my room is small.

My Piega C-3 Limiteds have great bass, but they aren't all that wonderful in that department. I have them in a spot in my room where there are no bass anomolies, but there is not enough bass right now for my tastes.

I was thinking of maybe adding a subwoofer, or two. What do you guys think? This is strictly a 2-channel room, and is 12.5 x 14.5. There is no furniture, except for my listening chair. I am driving the Piegas with a Plinius 8200i MkII.

I was thinking of trying Vandersteens subs. Maybe Piegas, but I could only buy one.

Would this work better than bi-amping with a 8200p MKII?

Thanks!

B
hantrax
Bi-amping won't get you extra bass if your speakers can't produce the low frequencies. If MORE bass is what your after, you should concider a) new, full range speakers b) add a sub or c) move the speakers a little closer to the corners of the room which might help.

All have their draw backs. First, if you get new speakers, you may then need a new amp to push them. Second, I personally would not want to run speaker wire from the amp to the sub to the speakers (I'm assuming you are using an analoge pre that does not have a LFE out for subs). If you move the speakers closer to the corners, you may get unwanted reflections and will have to treat the room to control them. The third option is the cheapest and easiest to do and is where I would start.
REL Strata III, either one or two. A small sealed-box sub that will match very well with a small room, adding deep bass without going so deep that it overpowers the room. These are very good subs and work well in either mono or stereo setup.
Hello,

I have always found the old Janis subs very musical with the Janis Interphase 1a amp. I took the first responders advice and bought some nice full range speakers and just sold my Janis. They can be had cheap these days. I always found other subs too boomy and they did not blend well. The REL subs are nice also.
Post removed