Full range or sub/sat ?

Which give you what you want.I feel the best dedicated stereo only came from a pair of spica TC-50's and a vandersteen sub.The amp was a Musical fidelity B-1 or a B-2 I seem to have forgotten ( about 35 watts per ch. ).I felt the monitors got out of the way better than a full range with it's large baffle.
kgveteran
Too many variables to judge; if you have the space, a floorstander could be better. I have seen/heard many (even with wide baffles) show great soundstage and imaging.

I think the room plays the most important part in the decision, with personal (spouse/family/visual) constraints obviously up there, too.

BTW, the system you describe sounds sweet :-) I used to have a British/Musical Fidelity A1, small, hot class A 25 watt integrated. ANYTHING I hooked up to it just sounded real sweet. One of my favorite combo's was this driving a pair of Acoustic Research M1 monitors (the one's TAS liked), along with a Systemdek turntable. Simple system, and made music so well !
Kg, what kind of music do you listen most often? If mostly amplified jazz, blues or rock i would suggest monitor-sub combo.
Sounds like you have made your decision...find a speaker you like...such as Spicas(which I used to own)...and if you crave lower end extension...get a good sub...I would opt for no sub vs. a cheap one...but hey...thats me...happy holidays...

Also...on pure cost...the Vandersteen model one floorstander is a great deal...and goes deep enough that one doesnt feel they are missing much....
As rediculous as it may sound. I actually would do floorstanders WITH a pair of subwoofers.