La Scala vs Klipschorn

I had a pair of Klipschorns for several years, many years ago. To tell the truth, other than I remember them positively, I don't remember much else. (Age takes it's toll!)

I'm considering buying a pair of Klipschorns or a pair of La Scala to replace my ESS/Heil speakers that have more-or-less turned to mush after twenty years.

Anyone care to tell me the differences between the two speakers?

Barrie
barrie
I've listened to both side by side in the same ($20K tube) system. As indicated, the K-horns were designed specifically to give optimum performance placed in the corners of the room. They are also quite larger in height and overall volume than the LaScala's. The sound of both is quite clean and forward, but the Khorns give a more authorative and lower bass (placed in the corners) than the LaScala's. I could certainly live with either given the right space to put the K-horns. The LaScala's may be more versatile since they don't have such rigid placement requirements. I own 1977 LaScala's and absolutley love them. Never heard a pair of ESS/Heil speakers so cannot comment there. I would not use either Klipsch with a SS system, but there are those who would disagree on that point. My opinion is that it that there are better combinations than SS + horns. Tubes + horns is heaven to my ears when done right.

Marco
The K-horns will have greater bass weight and extension compared to stock La Scala's.

Something else to consider would be the height of your ears above ground when seated at your listening position. The K-horns are noticeably taller than the La Scala's from what i can recall. As such, the ratio of mids / highs to lows might vary noticeably depending on which speakers you had and where your ears were situated in terms of the radiation pattern of each speaker. Sean
>
Sean is right.
My k-horns do sit a bit too tall for my room/heighth.
big difference in tonal balance between sitting to standing while listening.The LaScala's are better in that respect.
If you have the room,[BIG} I would probably still go for the K-horns for the improved bass.The Lascalas were designed for P.A. use by Paul and first used at a presidential event so I don't think deep bass was a prime
concern.