Speaker tweak

I've read that some folks put weights on top of their speakers to help with speaker resonance. I have a pair of Dynaudio 72's. I'm using spikes onto a carpeted floor. Last night, I experimented with setting one brick on top of each speaker. Each speaker was covered with a thin cloth so as not to damage the finish. I don't know if it was my imagination but the sound seemed to tighten up especially in the lower regions. The highs appeared to be slightly more etched but not overly so. The results were significant enough to make me want to experiment with other weights. Does anyone have any suggestions on other weights such as brass that might work. I thought about the Mapleshade heavyhats but I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper while at the same time acceptable in appearance. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
jimmymac
Try the noise killer for the speaker, music direct carries,
upscale audio carry them too, they do eliminate brightness
they do make high more listenable and natural. Try it and
leave them for about 2 weeks burn in period, for acclimation
porpuses, cheap tweak that works.Just be patient and later
it will payoff.
Devils advocate...but would a quality enclosure....such as a low resonating design on most 1-2k level speakers...really require sand bags? I would think at this level most of these "anomalies" would have been addressed by the speaker designer...and putting sand bags on good speakers...such as Dynaudio...a bit extreme?
How heavy should these plates/sand bags be? Mine are currently about 15 lbs on a 120 lb speaker. Never really experimented with other weights.
BrianW, I'll make you some for $50. Or try www.mcmaster.com P/N 9050k11 for premade 8" x 8" x 1" thick aluminum plates.
Also P/N 89155K72 $38.76 each.
Hello Cdc,

Actually, the Harmonic Resolution Systems plates are more than just a 1 inch thick piece of aluminum. Hell, if that's all they were, I'd have my brothers machinist (my brother manufactures Tube Research Labs amplifiers and preamplifiers) make me some nice aluminum plates with beveled edges, graining, and black anodizing. The HRS plates are comprised of not only an aluminum plate, but also have a proprietary polymer attached as well. Reading the info at their website, they mention that they've been involved with vibration isolation for NASA and other government agencies, so what they produce isn't nonsense.

I couldn't begin to explain the whats or whys of the product perfomance, I can only tell you that it was a night and day difference in resolution, low level information improvement, a striking improvement in micro-dynamics, a reduction of mid range and upper frequency glare/grain, and a general naturalness and ease within the entire frequency range. This is what I'd heard. I'm not affiliated with Harmonic Resolution Systems, just impressed all to hell with their products. I'd suggest, Cdc, that you try their demonstration at a local dealer yourself, so you can hear what I had at CES. I think that you'll be amazed, as I was.

Kind regards,
Brian