Does the subwoofer have to be on the floor?

I plan on putting a home theater in my library. Ideally I would like to place the sub on the bottom most shelf of a cabinet, since all my walls are covered by shelves/cabinets. Also, the bottom most shelf still has two draws below it, would that interfere with the sound? The shelves and draws are very solid cherry wood.
captaincapitalism
It certainly will with drowers!
All I can suggest is to remove drowers and put sub in that space standing on floor as far as my imagination allows to picture your library.
I can remove drawers, but I will still have a shelf underneath that I cannot remove. For that matter, I think there is some hollow space between the shelf and floor. Would simply removing the drawers be good enough? I do not understand what the big deal is anyway. Regular speakers can have stands, why can't the bottom shelf, which is very solid, act like a speaker stand?
...the hollow space is not a big deal and you can use it, but since sub has a large flexibility of placement i.e. can be realy away from the mains or somewhere in the middle of room or under the journal table or even under your desk.