Can I get "Great" used speakers for $1800??

I got only have $1800 to spend on "used mint" speakers. Can I get something "great" for my money??---- something that is musical, accurate, coherent with tight bass and good soundstaging. I see a lot of good stuff on Audiogon for $2800-3000, but just can't hack those prices now. Can I get close to that "performance" level for $1800?? What will be missing?? I listen to lots of classic rock, big band, and jazz. Thanks, Jimbo
sunnyjim
Used B&W Matrix 802 series II or III go for around that price. I just sold a pair of the series III with sound anchor stands for $1,850. Great speaker for the price.

Michael
What you wish for is REEAALLYY easy!

The only trick, and this is a big deal for most of us, is to just be patient. Oh, and I should mention that you will be looking at used speakers if you follow this plan. But hey, one good thing about used speakers is that someone else ate the depreciation.

You have to suppress the audiophile animal, sit back, and wait for a killer deal to come to you. I have done this for my 2 pairs of speakers, and have paid less for both pairs, than what the cheaper pair retailed for not very long ago.

One important facet of this is to be active in this hobby. Visit dealers, shows, friends, etc., so you keep up with the products. Along the way, you'll develop a sense of which you like, which are so-so, and which you dislike. That way, when a killer deal comes your way, you'll be able to realize whether it's a killer deal for you. When it is, and if you have the money, you pounce on it.

Oh, and for some recommendations of of those types of deals that exist right now:
1) The Stereo Trading Outlet is selling a pair of Fried Studio V for $995. Two transmission lines, one for the woofer, the other for the mid. I personally listened to this speaker about 1 month ago, and was so impressed by the bass that I am still drooling.
2) Community Audio in Philadelphia has a pair of JSE Infinite Slope 4(the flagship) for $1500! 2 - 12 woofers, the Dynaudio dome midrange(many feel this to be the BEST midrange driver they have come across), a Dynaudio tweeter, coupled with the crossover you can only find in the very well respected Joseph speakers today. Are you kidding me?
3) A great friend called me up on Saturday night, and when I told him I was looking for speakers, told me about a pair of the smaller Innersound electrostatics a friend of a friend would take $1000 - $1400 for. I don't have Innersound experience, but how can anyone get hurt on this deal?
4) That same friend is one of the best speaker guys in the world. And, he has for sale 2 pairs of Infinity loudspeakers which he has gone through from top to bottom. One is the IRS Beta(yes, they need a big room), the other is a smaller(Kappa something) that offers a rich, live, powerful sound. One thing I can tell you is that a satisfied customer is his worst nightmare. He doesn't feel like he's done his job unless you have tears streaming down your face from the inexpressable joy.
5) On Audiogon right now are pairs of Apogee hybrids(Centaurs and Slants) for anywhere from $300 - $1300. Doesn't anyone remember how great these speakers were?

Just because something isn't new, doesn't mean it isn't a find. Good sound is good sound. Bottom line!

Who knows, one of them might just end up in my second system...
That would buy ONE HUNDRED PAIRS of ACOUSTIC STUDIO DIGITAL MONITORS!!!! Tell me where you live and I'll drive my white van over today!!!!. Seriously, this is so easy, you should have just asked us all what our favorite $1800 used speakers are.

I'd look for a good used set of Martin-Logan SL3's with original boxes, near to where you live so you can go pick them up. Should be able to get a pair and have enough left over for budget cables.

There are at least 4 pairs on Audiogon right now for $1700-$1800 asking prices.

Frankly, no one can really answer this question without knowing what kind of AMP you're using.
FOLLOW-UP TO ABOVE THREAD: Many thanks to all who responded so far to this thread. I wish I had the time to e-mail back each response. First,one member advised to be patient and hold for a "killer deal". Yes, good advise; but,how does two years worth of patience sound since I sold my B&W Matrix 3's?? I am listening currently and only occassionally through a pair of Large Advents(don't ask why!! none of my reasons will seem rational) One member ask about my setup which is: Aragon 4004MK2, Conrad Johnson PV-8(which has been modified twice)and a Sonagraphe SC-1 CD player---all are about..gulp...15 years old. The interconnect cables are nothing spectacular. AudioMagic Spellcaster 2 runs between the pre/power amp, and a Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling between the pre/CD setup. I have a VPI Junior/Audioquest/Bluepoint specialT/T that has seen little use; and, a Nakamichi LX-3to play a set of Grateful Dead recorded concerts----still an outstanding tape deck. I have two Monster Cable interconnects which were reference series in 1990 that are used with the take deck. I sold my hi-end speaker cable with the speakers.... My room is 15X22 with a 13 ft cathredral ceiling--there is some slap echo....FYI: Big speakers are out; that is why any Maggie, whether 2.7 and 3.3(even 1.6R), is not under consideration and I auditioned them all. I have heard Thiel 2.3; Audio Physic Virgo 2 and 3's(liked the 2's,but the 3's are too bright)Martin Logans: Ascent, Prodigy, SL-3, Aerius(too finicky with raspy highs when pushed; though, I have read the new model, Clarity is smoother) Quad L-22; Audes Blues; Dunlavy Althea. B&W Nautilus 803 thru 801. A member recommended B&W 802'Series 3's of which several pairs have appeared on this site recently for $1800---that to me is not much of an upgrade form their Matrix 3's.... Also, would like to buy something with some "style" and looks. Considered "used" AP Libra's, and Roman Audio's Centurion which is gorgeous in all its veneers---both are pricey even used; also Gershman RX-20 which I have never on this site read much praise compared to other speakers. Finally, I don't want to have to play around much with placement; I realize this is a no-brainer for us audiophiles slaves, but I am getting impatient in my middle years with measuring my enjoyment of music in millimeters of positioning. So there it is!! Deep bass and soundstaging are very important for my next speakers because the B&W'Matrix 3's were lacking in this area.... Again thanks to all for taking the time to answer this thread. Jimbo