Does full range guarantee bass?

Generally speaking, if I get full range speakers, which will go below 40hz, will that get me good bass or does the amp still play a big part of it?

How many people have tube amps with great mids and hi ends, but lousy bottom, and then add a subwoofer to add the bass, even when they use full range speakers?

I read that Vandersteen subwoofers need to be paired with full range speakers in order to get the best sound? Why would that be?

In other words, do full range speakers always give you full range or just allow you to get full range?
matchstikman
Nooooooooooooo! One listen of B&W NT-7 will demonstrate that! Soliloquy 5.0 monitors have mo' base than they! Seriously, I've checked it out! And the B and dubs were loaded up with big, fat MacIntosh amp/preamps, while the 5.0s here hung on a Mistral 50 watter! Sheesh! Audition in your home/system, sir!
Phasecorrect, you seem pretty dogmatic about that subwoofer guarantee. Some of these so-called subwoofers aren't even rated to reproduce frequencies below 24 or even 30Hz. Go figure.

Perhaps these should fall into a new class called 'sub-midrange'. At least that classification would be more accurate.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if somebody qualified stated that there are probably more inferior subwoofers on the market percentage-wise than there are inferior speakers.

Matchstikman, there is a full range speaker that has really peaked my interest of late. The VON SCHWEIKERT VR-4 GEN III / VR-4 GEN III Special Edition and it's frequency is 16Hz to 40kHz. Now that's a true full range speaker!!!

Most subs won't even go that low. Anyway, the VR-4 GIII SE retails for $6k and according to a few, including a StereoTimes reviewer, may just be the best speaker under $20k.

If I were looking for a new speaker, that would probably be the first on my list. Even though it may not be the prettiest.

And of course with that frequency range, you should never need a subwoofer.

-IMO
Now that's what I'am talking about.You hit the nail right on the head Stehno!I know I have went thru more light in the ass subs with boomy bass(catching hell just to get below 40 hz),than full range floorstanders. I have done a freq sweep test and achieved a low rumble down to 12 hz(in my listening room) with my Sol 6.3s which are rated at 25hz to 20 khz! So subs need not apply!
I really would rather not use a sub at all! I searched for an affordable fullrange speaker that did not look like a battle tank.The closest I could get was a set of NEARs for my taste and room dimensions.After that I would have wanted to try VMPS or GR Reseach.

One thing that really is hard to do is get seamless intergration and good room interaction with subs.About the only need I would want one now is for HT I think as there is not much I listen to that requires the extension you get below 30Hz..Although I know the pshycological feeling will always be there having the extension of what I understand.

My next sub will be DIY with the XO point tailored to be exact instead of the dialed 40hz. cutoffs that usually are given with most sub amps.

Pretty tired and hope that made sense.