Best music server for the money

Looking to add a music server to my system. Current equipment is a Theta pre-amp and 5 channel amp Wilson Duettes and a JL Audio f113 sub. I love the ease and convenience of the Sooloos but not sure about the hardware or sound quality for the money. I really do not want to use a computer but would prefer to load rip and go.
Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks guys
bkoenig
Right. Essentials came out later and provided a way to make it cheaper or something. At the time it seemed to me that was the only reason why people were trying it out.

Mine is Windows Server 2012 R2. I'm certainly no computer expert and I'm just agnostic about operating system, but in my experience running the Audiophile Optimizer (designed for WS2012) made the largest software-or-format-related difference so far. Meaning the impact for me was larger than going from 16/44 to 24/96 or 24/192 or DSD at 5.6MHz. On top of that, WS allows running in core mode, which made another significant difference on top of that made by the Optimizer. So in my case and with my setup, WS2012 + Audiophile Optimizer are keepers.

Unfortunately that kills the option to use HQPlayer, which does sound very good despite the user interface that doesn't fit my needs. But JRiver run with the above configuration and controlled with an iPad and driving my Audiophilleo and Metrum Octave sounds as good as HQPlayer upconverting to DSD at 5.6MHz and feeding my exaSound e22 natively.

I guess I now should try JPlay, which works with WS+Optimizer.
BTW, there is a new version of the Optimizer (1.30 I believe) people are raving about, but I have not tried it as I was exploring DSD/exaSound/HQPlayer.

I encourage you to contact AudioPhil, maker of the Optimizer. He's super helpful and will likely know why you are having the issue you do. Of course, in good faith the end game should be buying the Optimizer from him. His website is highend-audiopc.com. Feel free to use my ID. BTW, I have no affiliation whatsoever; just a happy customer.

Cheers!
05-31-14: Pkoegz
I can no longer stand it. I am not computer savvy. Yet I have an actual music server where I use a wireless router and jrivers. Not rocket science!. The issue with pc's is the noise. Noise from the cooling fans, main boards, power supply, hard drives, etc. You need a fan-less PC with plenty of quiet storage and a fast quiet mother board. A quiet power supply etc. just go to endpcnoise and check out their quiet PC servers. I have the monster. Install jrivers and Then rip or down load music. After a little practice it becomes a snap. I added a sotm USB with battery power. Why pay a lot for some server that is no better, has less storage and is a lot more money. So start your ripping and/or down load, it's fun. And really not that hard just takes a little effort.
Pkoegz (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
I agree wit this i am running windows 7 on a Dell precision 5400 that has Xeon processors and 2 hard drives. I have room for 4 drives.
I am running jRiverMedia.
It is the best for the money . I have it hooked up to my 55 inch tv(for video only . I am running a Musical Fidelity V-link2 USB to SPDIF converter(not bad for the money)
Using a McCormack Dac-1 Deluxe . I am using the Coaxial output of the V-Link2 to the McCormack DAC-1.
I have ripped ALl of my Cds in Their original high quality format .
The initial ripping of the Cds takes a long time... but it is well worth it. It sounds much better than any lossless or compressed format.Sounds Much better than any iPOd Ipad or i anything.I know.... people have tested and say it is bit for bit(lossless vs Cd Quality 44.1K), but i promise i hear a difference.
JRivermedia and a Dell Precison with XEON processor
You will be happy
You can dowload and try JRiver for free.
Also you can use a windows media remote with J River.
Works great for changing songs and Volume