How do you "downgrade"?

This is a hobby that always strives for more and more. To anyone who's "downgraded" for non-financial reasons, how did you come to that decision, and how did you manage to live with having less?
128x128turnaround
All of my "downgrades" made the system sound better. I would not mind upgrading the power amp sometime. I've tried twice to upgrade my speakers with ones costing up to 133% (2.33 times) more without success. Also twice I've spent a lot more on a preamp and it did not get me better sound; so I've kept the old cheaper one.
Thanks Dsunde. I was hoping someone would catch my attempt at Gonzo humor. I've read HST's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" 10-12 times and most of his other works as well. Cheers. Craig.
Hey BBTUNA,

I have to ask, what were the pieces in this lower-end system that you enjoy? I'm always looking for ideas...

- Eric
Craig, i'd like to print that one and frame it. If not for the laughter that it brought on, i could use it strictly as a reminder that i'm not the only one with those thoughts when reading "keep it simple" type of posts : )

As to Sos, you hit the nail on the head. I always start out simple, but somehow, i end up with a dozen components, wires all over the place, etc... Maybe i need to take Bbtuna's advice and nuke everything and take a break. Sean
>