new system for beginner

i am not terribly familar with hi quality stereo equipment. i am looking to build my first system though. i am mostly interested in buying used quality equipment. i do not have a lot of room to fill and i only listen to cds. i am wondering what the good brands are to with. speakers are the area of most concern and i haveno idea what to look for. if this is too novice of a thread i understand. my knowledge is limited and i have to start somewhere. thanks for any help.
massey
I would chime in on the Vandersteen/CAL combo which would leave you $1K for amplification. You could do a lot worse than a McCormack DNA 0.5 power amp for about $600-$700 and then an Adcom or NAD pre-amp. Of course, that would leave you without cables, so maybe you should stick to an integrated from Creek or NAD. The good thing about these "classics" is they will loose little or no value if they are not abused. I would NOT agree with the comment that they are efficent. They are easy to drive in the sense that they have a uniform impedence and sound good with a wide variety of electronics. They are very musical and definately can benefit from a more forward cable like the homegrown. BTW, I am running Vandy 2cis with a McCormack and have used them with a variety of less expensive electronics and they always make music (not super detailed which can be an advantage if you have a more modest source and electronics).
Since the Vandersteen 2C's were my first "real" full range speaker I can't recommend them highly enough especially at their new or used price. You can't lose, they will not irritate have excellent cohesive sound and real bass. The only caveat (if this is a problem) is they aren't as revealing as some, a blessing at times, but system matching is much easier. 7 ohms nominal 4 ohms minimum, efficiency is 86dB on the 2ce. Price used 500.00-800.00 pair. They work with tubes and ss. Definitely should be on a short list.
First get fixed in your head how much treasure you would part with.A system for $1500 can be very satisfying but you may be able to afford and justify spending that or multiples thereof for each component.Next comes qualifiers like do I want to go less "audiophile" and into home theatre with budget.Lesser qualifiers would be can I get used to no tone controls on an "audiophile "piece?Then what will the room support.Smaller rooms can reproduce less bass and less power to get to "x" level of volume.A good set of book shelves like the B&W 805's matched with a good used Acurus DIA 100 intergrated amp could be bought used for $800 and $400 respectively.Had that combo myself and it had tremendous bang for the buck.BTW I sell HiFi for a living but their are some either smart cookies out their or at least obsessive compulsive types who know more than most of us who sling the boxes.Lastly don't give upon vinyl.The sound you can get from a $500-1000 'Table/cart can with some nice new vinyl or a score of a good condition old presssing can kickn the crap out of most CD's though generally they are getting better all the time.Look into a SACD/CD player as well or perhaps a CD-R recorder.Most of all HAVE FUN!!!!
I say get a good digital source first. Sonic Frontiers Dacs are available used on Ebay for 600, and Cal Delta transport are available for 350 on Audiogon. Hook it up with a Bettercable digital for 70bucks. That leaves about a thousand. Get some interconnects for about 100 from JPS, Homegrown, or Mapleshade connected to... Amps? Go integrated: Acurus DIA150, used Creek gear, or, my personal sentimnetal favorites, the old nakamichi SR or TA series receivers, and they should run about 300-500. Then get some speaker cables, and you can get some used Audioquest Midnights for about 150. Lastly, the speakers with about 500 left, get some NHT 2.5i, Vandy 1C, or even some used Maggies. It's sort of exciting to start on a fresh note. Good hunting, althought, I don't think the person starting this thread will be paying any attention.
personal testimony:

My system, up until a few years ago, cost me a lil more than 2000, which consist of:

KEF 103/4- Got it used from a client for 600
Aragon 8002-Store demo for 1200
Marantz 63se-New for 400
Free Audioquest Argent/HF Midnight/LF and Quartz cables.

My achilles heal in this set up has always been my CD player, so I have personal bias towards starting off with a good digital front end.