Best speaker in nearfield listening

I have heard that Audio Physic is great in the nearfield listening position. I sit six to seven feet from the speaker. My budget is up to 5K used. I really want to make this work in a very close listening environment.
hiflyer
I'll second the Merlin's. I sit six or seven feet away, and I love them. As long as they're far enough from the side and rear walls, they'll be fine (but that's probably the case with most speakers)
I've got a pair of Harbeth 7ES's and they are terrific at nearfield listening. I don't think they will "seem" as airy as an electrostat - if you want this try the Red Rose, the ribbon tweater is great. But, I find the Harbeths very accurate and sensual. Good luck!
Try the Audio Physic Avanti Centuries it blows the Virgo's and the new Avanti III's away. This is a special edition Avanti that uses the tweeter from the $20K Audio Physic Caledra. I believe there is a pair on Audiogon for under 5K....good luck.
i listen to my acoustat model IIIs about 7-8 feet back and the sound is gigantic. i think these work great close because they beam (one of their drawbacks) and dont interfere with each other. once you find the right position it's heaven. although you'll be doing most of your listening alone. they do sound significantly better at higher rather than lower volumes though but turn these things up and you're there like no other speaker i've heard. you can get a pair of mint acoustats for $1000 and spend the other 4k on prostitutes and cheeze nips...treat yourself.