avalon ascent to avalon eidolon

Has any one compared the plad avalon ascents or for that matter the old avalon radian HC's? I am wondering if anyone has done a side by side comparison or any other thoughts.
jetfamily
Tom, I own both tubes and s/s amps/preamps. Spectral and ARC
equipment. However I think solid state would do more justice to the hi rez capabilities of the Eidolons plus better bass response for them to boot. The output impedence of tube amps is usually very high (except the Wolcott amps) which gives it a low damping factor which causes the speaker/amplifier bass response to be less than the speaker is capable of producing. Also I find that the S/S stuff gets the most out of a CD/record, more ambient low level material off the recording which I assume an Avalon owner would crave. Of course this presumes a s/s amp/preamp combo worthy of getting this material off the recording and putting it to good use by the speaker. Though on the other hand, I love the midrange warmth that those tubes throw at you. Dilemmas
I can live with...
Hey Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
I initially got into the audiophile addiction when i heard a pair of maggies. Breathing seems like a good verb to use. I have always found the sound to be nearly liquid as it envelopes you. I have never heard quite that sound from solid state and a cabinet speaker. Still, for my ear I enjoy the great detail and soundstaging that a superior speaker like the eidolons give. By the way for everyone out there, the speakers are mated to spectral monoblocks and spectral preamp. the processor is a theta gen 5 a. I am hoping for some really great sound.
thanks
I heard the Eidolons for a short time and was not ultra impressed. This could have been an electonics issue among other things. When I asked the dealer why they seemed a bit bass shy he told me that it takes a long time for them to break in. He then proceeded to tell me it takes a minimum of 9 months for total breakin. How about it Eidolon fans is this true. This is a reputable dealer in the Northeast
Hello Snook, The bass is improved big time with break-in. You would never think it was the same speaker. Shubertmaniac, you are very fortunate to have both high quality tube and s/s electronics for your system. I drive my Eidolons with BAT mono VK60's and a BAT50se preamp. My next major upgrade will be my amps. I hope to get a pair of BAT VK150se mono amps. I believe the BAT gear has something very special going for it. They seem to combine the best that s/s and tube gear has to offer. Regards, Tom
I have had teh good fortune to listen to the ascents, radian hc and the eidolon.
I have to say the current best deal is a used ascent. It is very similar to teh current eidolons at a fraction of teh cost. I consider an impressive feat for avalon to have made such an excellent speaker as the ascent that although it canbe improved upon, the improvement in my opinion is not that much.