avalon ascent to avalon eidolon

Has any one compared the plad avalon ascents or for that matter the old avalon radian HC's? I am wondering if anyone has done a side by side comparison or any other thoughts.
jetfamily
i've owned 3 pairs of avalons over the past 10 or 12 years: eclipses, ascents and eidolons. i've also listened extensively to the radian and several other avalon models. before purchasing my eidolons, i did several weeks of critical comparisons between that model and my prior ascents, played in my system (i have a very good dealer, who's also a good friend). the eidolons better the ascents in every way. they have considerably lower bass output, more life-like mids and smoother highs. the eidolons are also slightly easier to drive than the ascents, tho they love high power/high current amps. the radians don't come close to the eidolons. indeed, if i were considering a lower priced avalon model, i'd look to the opus. it shares some of the same variety of drivers as the eidolon and comes much closer to the sonic attributes of the latter model than do the radians. these are, of course, only my subjective opinions. YMMV. -kelly
Hello Jet, I owned the Radian HC and upgraded to the Eidolon almost a year ago. The Eidolon to my ears is by far the better speaker. Both bass extension and speed in the bottom octaves is quite improved over the Radian. As good as the Radian are at soundstaging the Eidolon takes this to another level. Images have an uncanny presence because of the correctness of timbre and texture of tone. This high resolution comes at the cost of needing to mate the Eidolon with quality components upstream though. It surley will let you know if something is colored in the system. If that's the case, you would get better overall results with the more forgiving Radian. I never heard the Opus myself, but from what I've read Cornfed is correct that it also would be a better choice for you. It's my opinion to go for quality over quantity for a power amp, especially with the Eidolon. Of course your personal taste in music, room size, and the volume levels you listen at come into play choosing an amp for the Eidolon. Good luck in whatever your choose and if decide on the Eidolon I hope their "magic" is as profound to you as it is for me. Best wishes, Tom
I went to one dealer and compared the Maggie 3.6s and the
Avalon Eidolons. I could not understand the furor over the
Eidolons. They were good but not 25,000 dollars worth. I called them salon fluff in another thread. Confedboy was
not happy with my assessment but that is what I heard.
I respect Confedboy's opinion even though he was pretty
hard on me for my statements. So I gave the Eidolons a
second chance at another dealer in New England. This time
they were set up properly. They sounded much much better.
The soundstaging/imaging were almost perfect. They presented
a three dimensional picture of the musical event that I have
not heard before. They bested the Maggies in every facet
except what I call transparency, but it was very close.( I
think transparency is related to stored energy). There
are a few buts...1. The room acoustics have to be near perfect to get the best possible results 2. The electronics
must be the best possible(ie Spectral or ARC), no inferior
stuff here or I believe it will kill the system. So if
someone goes the Eidolon route they must be prepared to lay out close to 100k dollars to bring out the best this system
is capable of producing. If this is the system of your dreams go for it!!!!