What is the minmimum room size for Magnepan?

I know it will depends on the model, the bigger requires the larger room. As the speaker require to be quite a bit far from the wall. What are the minimum room size it requires (esp. for model MMG and MMG 1.6) so it will let the speakers sing with thier full potentail?

Also how durable are these type of speakers? I mean how long I should expect them to last? I have heard about scary stories that the the ribbon/quasi-ribbon types fall apart easier/faster than the convensional ones. Is this true? Anyone have had a real bad experience about this?

Thanks a lot

ake
ake
The 1.6's sound best at least 5 feet away from the rear wall and at least 2 feet from the side walls (preferably 3-4 feet). You should sit at least 10 feet away and 15 is about the right distance for me. All these distance vary of course per personal tastes but, you get the idea. I have 1.6's and the tweeters are fine and going on 2 years old. I do not know about them falling apart but, I have heard a little about the tweeter being fragile and my own tests have proved that wrong. I played an Innersound amp that had 1000 watts into four OHMS and you would not believe how loud those speakers get. I do not think you could damage them except with 'bad' power.
First, let me say I have extensive exprience with most models of Maggies in the last 5 years. I can say without a doubt, that there's no hard and fast placement measurement/distance rule(as with ANY speaker!) for the maggie!...it depends on the room, and the seating possition!(as with ALL speakers/set ups).
Really, this is a matter of knowing how to set up speakers in the first place..and most don't have a clue sadely. If you do it yourself, my suggestion is you, well, learn how to set up speakers in your(any)room. You'll have to play around with em quite a bit. Otherwise, hire someone such as myself, who knows what they're doing.
As for the ribbons durrability, well let' just say they "ain't" no rock and roll speakers....this is for certain. The ribbons are low efficiency/sensitivity designs, and will sound strained with heavy dynamic loads. In my oppinion, experiences, etc,you need to, yes, be carefull with the maggie ribbons, as they are the most delicate of speaker designs I think.
Good luck
In my experience as regards the durability question, the models you are asking about, which do not have the true ribbon tweeter, are rather impervious to overload damage. The panels will become distorted-sounding if you push the volume too high (easier on the MMG's), but just back off the power and they will be fine. But as always (and being especially careful on low-efficiency models such as Maggies, where the onset on amp distress can occur at lower volumes), do not let an underpowered amp deliver a clipped signal to the speakers! As for placement, let's just say look at other speakers if you have only a small room (especially for the 1.6's - the MMG's will work better in a smaller room, but as someone who doesn't believe in the concept of "small panels" to begin with, I would look at regular dynamic designs if the room is only big enough for those, because you will be able to do better than MMG's under those circumstances).