SPEAKERS FOR MY NEW LISTENING ROOM

My listening room is 27x19.5 with a cathedrial ceiling to a 16 foot height. The peak runs perpendicular to the 27 foot wall . I will be using my marantz 2500 ( 250 w.p.c. at 8 ohms 330 w.p.c. at 4 ohms ). I like some oldies , classical, jazz, and occasionally some loud house shaking rock and roll . Price range 2000-4000 dollars . Prefer tight, well defined bass , with the ability to hear the difference between the bass drum and the bass guitar and not having to worry about frying a driver or if I do, having the availability of purchasing a replacement driver without taking out a second mortage . There is a possibility of installing a wood tongue and groove ceiling in the near future. OK you Gurus start your engines . Thanks a bunch !FBI.
fbi
Carl, what damping material or product are you refering to and are full round traps a DIY items or only manufactured items . If DIY, do you have print details and parts list to build? Dummy it up for me, 10-Q. FBI.
Sorry, I have the ASC ones. Good luck, though. I've only heard bad things about all the ASC clones, and feel the cost of the ASC ones is justified. I am a DIY'er, but only do speakers...
PSB Gold-i speakers can be bought new on internet for @$2000 and offer unbeatable value/performance ratio. Of course there are other great speakers in the $2-4000 new range...Hales Revalation 3, Dynaudio Contour 3, Vandersteen Signature 3 etc, etc. When setting up room, to preserve aesthetic integrity, be creative instead of tube traps in corners use Ficus tree or other tall plants with can light at base for dramatic lighting effect at night, or rice paper folding panels etc, also use near field position to minimize reflections...regards Sam
Hey Megasam, do fake Ficus trees give the same results as tube traps? I've never heard of this. I think my wife has an old out of style Ficus tree in the garage. My vote for speakers would be the Meadowlark stuff. Kestrels or Shearwaters are small easy to place with good bass and sound great with all diffrent kinds of music, though I've never heard them in such a large space as you have. Good luck
Ej, of course professional dampening material is best, tube traps, sonex foam panels etc.....but there are design considerations in someones living room, for visual appeal. Any tall irregular 3D object placed in the corners behind speakers will break up reflections, as opposed to bare wall corners. Of course if floor is not carpeted, rug is mandatory between speakers and listening position. Should also mention planar speakers, large Magnapans great value/performance ratio and Martin Logans but they are not the last word in bass reproduction FBI wants....so stick with one of the box designs...regards Sam