Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi. Don't take my answer as biased because I am a manufacturer but first I am music lover and I get very emotional about ENGAGING sound. Like you I use red book and red book only. I don't care for anything else. My two advice are: for RB I would only use R2R dac chips and ZERO, I mean ZERO op-amps. These two advice will get you where you wanna be. So it could be as simple as TDA1543 one dollar dac chip with one FET transistor or something as radical as PCM1704 with triodes. Just my Polish 2c.
Hi Lampizator,

Great to see you here. I see you mention a 'family member' of Zanden's TDA 1541 double-crown. What is your thinking on that chip and those that use it? Just curious.
Wow, the great and powerful Lampizator has joined our ranks (no disrespect at all implied, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity with my slightly warped sense of humor). Now we have 3 engineer/designers on this thread. How cool is that!!! You are a most welcome addition to our little discussion.

I remember reading on another post that you felt the Big6 was the best of your bunch when it came to Red Book CD. In fact, I was going to pursue a Big7 until I read that. Do you feel that your Big7 is superior in regards to its USB input conversion and ability to unravel the zero's and one's of a Red Book data stream? The Big7 certainly is making a bigger buzz then the Big6 does.