Good speakers in the sub-$1K range

I have a corporate apartment that I use during the week, and I've brought up some spare equipment that I wasn't using at home anymore. I have a Pioneer PD65/Lafayette tube pre/Eico HF89 Tube (50W Ultralinear)/Kimber Kable. Right now, I have a pair of B&W 2002's, and they just don't compare to what I'm used to at home (Mirage M5si's/Adcom 555II). I've searched the net, and seen what I think are some good speakers at reasonable prices, ie, Monitor Audio 702's for $750, pair of Spica TC-60's at $450, pair of Linn Nexus for somewhere in the $500 range (I think), and I noticed a pair of Snell C's for $750 on the auction list of this page. I mostly listen to classical and Jazz, but I do throw Jane's Addiction in there on occation. Any advice?
rmt37
Please- If you haven't already purchased your speakers- do yourself a favour and listen to the Dynaudio Audience 50's. In the sub 1K range they are simply the best I've heard.
if it were me and i was looking for a nice sounding pair of speakers to set up in a place i was spending my working week at....i would call Madisound......and order a pair of dynaudio 17w75's..a pair of d28 tweeters......and a premade box.......then i would call joel at meniscus and have him whip up a nice custom crossover for you......have it next day aired to the apartment..stop at the hardware store and get a phipps screwdriver and some screws.........order a pizza and a bottle of wine delivered to the house and it about an hour..and 400 bucks later you will have not only an awesome set of speakers.........you will have a great story to tell all your friends*l*
It may not be as practicle as a book shelf, but the Vandersteen 1c at $700 is a great match with wintage tube systems, we have used these with Jolida, Dyna Model 70 and other low output tubes, and pure music. Not the last word in detail and bass, but overall does most things just right. I see these used for 400-500 on the internet. Good Luck!
I have a simmilar system to the one you described, Sound Valves amplifier (basically an upgraded and modified stereo 70) and an Audio Research sp-6b. I just bought a pair of Vienna Acoustic Haydns. I auditioned probably 30 or 40 speakers over the last year and these are my favourites over all. Cost was about $900 with stands, and I think this is pretty close to the retail price, so you might be able to get them cheaper. good luck.
<< I have a corporate apartment that I use during the week, and I've brought up some spare equipment that I wasn't using at home anymore. I have a Pioneer PD65/Lafayette tube pre/Eico HF89 Tube (50W Ultralinear)/Kimber Kable. Right now, I have a pair of B&W 2002's, and they just don't compare to what I'm used to at home (Mirage M5si's/Adcom 555II). I've searched the net, and seen what I think are some good speakers at reasonable prices, ie, Monitor Audio 702's for $750, pair of Spica TC-60's at $450, pair of Linn Nexus for somewhere in the $500 range (I think), and I noticed a pair of Snell C's for $750 on the auction list of this page. I mostly listen to classical and Jazz, but I do throw Jane's Addiction in there on occation. Any advice? >>