How do you deal with vibration?

Greetings all,

Many of us work very hard to keep vibration out of our equipment. I was hoping we could share our experiences with each other. I was wondering what other DIY methods people are using?

I personally have had good luck with shipping open cell foam under plywood. I find that about 60-70 percent compression works best. I place the foam underneath some plywood (Using spruce 3/4 inch). Then I place the component on the plywood. However, I think this more isolates the component from outside vibration. I don't think it does much to drain internal vibrations, especially in a CD transport.

Also I can not find open cell foam in town any more. I am ashamed to say that I actually went to Wal-mart to buy some. Now they don't carry it any more. So I was wondering where else I can get some?

I am currently thinking about building a Sandbox for my CD player and amp. Then putting the sand box on top of some sort of isolation material (open cell foam or cork rubber etc.) My thoughts are the foam or cork or etc should help keep the vibrations from getting into the equipment and the box should drain the internal vibrations.

Also, what are peoples experience with different woods. I live in BC so I can get most wood fairly cheap. I imagine every wood has it's own sonic signature due to it's resonant frequency. What works best? Solid maple, birch ply, MDF, walnut, mahogany etc...?\

Anyways, feel free to through ideas and experience (both good and bad) out there. It would be good to know what works and what doesn't.

Happy tweaking,
Nick
nickway
Jadem6, I agree. You may notice that I am largely dismissive of those who say vibration control cannot help. If they believe that, it is fine with me, but if someone asks, I have many suggestions. I cannot understand why they care to try to convince me that they are right despite my hearing they are wrong. They often say that I am delusional but they cannot prove it and I don't think they are right. Enjoy.
I would never try to convince you that you didn't "hear" what you
heard. The subjects in Dunlavy's tests "heard" large
improvements even though the cables were never even changed. All this
means is that the mind is powerful and can supply sensory experiences for
us, can make us "hear" things that are not there, but hear them
nonetheless. So, even in the worst case, no one can say you didn't hear what
you heard. The question is whether it was real or not. No one should feel
insulted by this question. Every scientist that does an experiment builds in
safeguards to protect against these types of influences, or else no one will
accept his/her results. Who would trust a scientist who said he/she didn't
need to build in such safeguards because he/she could trust him/herself not
to be influenced. Why should any one of us be immune? However, the last
part of your statement is true. There is no magic bullet to end these types of
debates. The best we can say is that some people believe in these things and
some people don't and each has their reasoning. (See Newbee's overview of
the divergent belief systems.) However, the idea that one camp enjoys music
more than the other is rather specious.
Tbg...Noone is trying to convince you of anything. I am trying to decide what I need to do, and, just as you report the results of your listening tests, I will report my results. Other guys might benefit from my experience as well as yours. Would you like me to test my turntable, so that I can show the kind of results you like? That would be a waste of time because I already know the importance of vibe control for turntables.

Peace.
Rsbeck and Eldartford, I am a social scientist with many published research reports. I firmly believe in test hypotheses with data. I know full-well that the mind can be fooled. I do not believe, however, that science can settle the issues of whether there are differences between amp, cables, with and without isolation, or whether the IC works. I feel no need to prove what I hear nor do I think the rigor or research designs in tests I have seen and even participated in allows conclusions that some might want to make. I merely report my observations, which are the basis of inductive theory development. When I have my science hat on, I want data to assess the hypothesis, but here all I want to know is whether my sound improves.

I am certainly not discouraging others from reaching other conclusions, but I very much resent notions that I am merely deluding myself. When others share my impressions, I feel more secure in my impressions. Guys this is a hobby not competitive football or finding a cure to cancer.
Tbg, A social scientist! You must find these forums mighty interesting. You could do a lifetime research project on us and still not figure us out.