Tube cdp's and Tubed Output cdp's

I don't know much about cdp's that use tubes and I'd like to understand more about the. Thanks in advance for all your helpful information.

My first question is, what types of tube cdp's are there? (i.e. Tube cdp, tubed output cdp)

Second, what are the advantages of using a tube cdp vs. a ss cdp?

Third, if you use a tube cdp, do you have to let the tubes warm up before using it to listen to music?

Thanks again for all your responses,
Mike

I'm currently using a Level 1+ Music Hall CD25 that was modified by Part Connexion. (Goes into a Sunfire preamp and Sunfire amp to Klipsch Legend series speakers.)

I have recently switched to NBS Master III speaker cables which have really brought out the midrange and have tamed the brightness of my Klipsch speakers.

My objective: Improve the midrange and clarity even more and make the sound smoother.
vman71
Another question... Would the addition of a tube buffer like Musical Fidelity's X10 or a tube preamp benefit a SS CD Player given the desired objective?

Thanks.
For Jh2os--there is never too much of a good thing when it comes to tubes!!! :^) I use an Audio Logic DAC, a Jadis JP200 preamp and a pair of Lamm ML 1.1s with no problems, but I do note that the better tubed units and solid state units are sounding far closer to each other these days than they did 15 years ago. I imagine if you get some heavily colored tubed components they may overdo it in terms of fidelity to the signal, but on the other hand you still might like what you're hearing enough not to care.

Mdp0430: Probably yes to some extent with the preamp, particularly if you've got a good CDP. With something like the MF X10, depends on your objective, in my opinion. With the MF you're adding more circuitry into the signal path, and essentially coloring the sound. In that case, if your objective is fidelity to what's on the CD, unlikely unless you really have a poor solid state CDP. But if your objective is to tailor a sound from CD that you can enjoy musically (and I know a lot of people who have a hard time doing that), and the MF does that for you, then that's probably the ticket.
I agree with Rcprince's response as well, Jh2os. We have a tube CDP running direct to tube amps, and absolutely love the sound.
If you want the benefit of tubes, I would put a tube preamp in the system. The MF X10 is overrated and adds the expense of another pair of interconnects. If a CD player NEEDS the X10 to sound good, time to get a new CD player. It's really sub $1000 players that benefit from the x10. I'd say save the money and buy a better player.

For me, lots of average sounding players $1000 and under (used), some gems. Once you spend $1000+, things get interesting and tubes are not necessary. Tube output stages help the cheaper players, but somewhat unnecessary in better players.
Tube output stages help the cheaper players, but somewhat unnecessary in better players.

I disagree wholeheartedly with that statement. If the sonic characteristics of tubes are beneficial in a $1000 CD player, why would those same qualities be diminished or trivialized in the high-dollar players? Answer: they're not. Solid state is solid state, and tubes are tubes. You can simile them to death, but they do not sound the same.