cdp digital volume control or preamp?

Hello Gon'ers!
I am currently running my Music Hall Maverick SACD player, which has a remote volume control (digital) directly into a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp. It sounds very good, but I wondered if I would get better sound going through a good pre-amp. What do you all think? Some suggestions for pre-amps that match well with my existing gear would be welcome, too.

Cheers.
tfkaudio
Tfkaudio,
You might consider trying this before going to an active preamp:
http://placetteaudio.com/remote_control.htm
$1000 new, can be had here for around $600 used. Easy to re-sell if you don't like it.

We're currently using EVS attenuators, running direct from CDP to amps, and am very glad to run without a preamp. The clarity and transparency are unbeatable. When we get our new APL-modded CDP, we'll run direct again. Unless I'm spending big $$ on a preamp, or need the additional gain for our 4W SET amps, I'm feel much closer to the music without the additional colorations of the preamp. Just my opinion, FWIW.
If you can get by without a remote, you might also consider the Luminous Audio Axiom attenuator. Search the archives for opinions about the Placette or the Luminous ($125 retail).

We're swapping between 4W SET amps and 50W triodes, and definitely don't lack for dynamics with either setup.
All the best,
Howard
If you are looking for an inexpensive solution, Creek makes a passive preamp with 2 inputs and remote control. I have no idea how it performs. It is $450 new at Audio Advisor and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Another inexpensive solution would be a used Adcom GFP-750 passive/active preamp for about $600.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CROBH22&product_name=OBH-22%20Remote%20Passive%20Preamp
Thanks for your input, everybody. I'm gonna go with the Blue Circle BC21.1. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Cheers.
If you search 'passive' here at a-gon (classified not chat) you will find a couple of passive preamps so cheap they might be fun to play with, the Channel Islands and the Luminous Axiom. Just a thought. By the way Lousyreeds, tfkaudio mentioned that his volume control was digital but his question was not specifically about the pros and cons of digital volume controls but also whether to add a preamp. The thread seemed to morph in that direction. Thanks for being there to correct me anyway.