Are any of the newer DACs better than BB PCM63s?

I've heard very often that there has been a perceived decline in the quality of DACs since the famous Burr Brown K series PCM63. Anyone know if there is any quantitative (or even qualitative) truth to this? I remember back in the days of the PCM63 other manufacturers' DACs were not considered in the same league, but can the same thing hold true today? How would a PCM63 compare to one of today's Wolfsons, Crystals, AKMs, or even the current top of the line BBs?
tonyptony
Tonyptony, PCM63K is PCM1702 in PCM63 case. The current top of the line BB DACs are much better sounding - more detailed and relaxed sound. Of course, I have yet to hear better sounding DAC than Crystal. I mean carefully executed designs incorporating Crystal DACs. MBL is what comes to mind first - simply amazing. The clarity, resolution and top extension coming from Crystal DAC remains unmatched, to my ears.

Regards,
Alex
Hmm, we seem to have a difference of opinion here, gentlemen. I know very well that there's a lot more to the sound than just the DAC. As you pointed out, Alex, a well executed design is necessary along with a good DAC. So how do we know when we're listening to the DAC versus a better design / output stage? Where did the whole notion of the PSM63 K being so good come from? I still occasionally hear this being discussed today.