"Analog" = bloated, rolled off, soft and mushy?

I don't have much experience with many CD players, but with the few that I do, it's been my experience that tube output stages that supposedly give an "analog" quality to CDs, really sacrifice transparency and excitement. They sound euphonice, but ulitmately, kind of boring.

The last high end player that I owned and loved was a Wadia 860x. I'd like to find a universal player that gives me the Wadia excitement and neutrality, and have considered one of the APL, Exemplar and Modwright modded units, but the best of them use tube output stages, and this really makes me hesitate. Are they "analog" sounding and excellent, because they give you that tube sound, but sacrifice the detail, clarity and drive that I loved in my Wadia? Don't get me wrong, I love tubes, but I'm not so sure they belong in CD players. Am I wrong?
128x128dennis_the_menace
before this turns into a tubes vs. SS thread... can anyone speak to the sonic signatures of the modwright, apl, and exemplar modded universal players? and what does it mean, when someone says, it's the most "analog" sounding player?

" and what does it mean, when someone says, it's the most "analog" sounding player? "

They mean that they really would rather listen to vinyl but in it's absence this will have to do

Dave
I would just advise hearing one before plunking down your cash. A local shop had one of those 3 you mentioned, with the full blown tube mod, set up for a couple days and it may have been the worst sounding player I have ever heard. I won't say which one because it could have been set up wrong, bad tube, or something, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. But mushy, no dynamics, tonal response was just plain off. It is not an anti tube thing as I have enjoyed the Jolita and BAT players before. And yes I was familiar with the system it was playing on as I had been in several times to audition some speaker I ended up buying.
If there's one thing to say about digital, it's that you can't have it all. That is why I find it ridiculous that people want to know which is the best CD player without any mention as to what they value when listening to music. What we have right now at the high-end are super-specialized CD players. When you are spending this much money, you need to know your own tastes and what you are looking for in music.

For me, I know that I have an analytical approach to music. I like to hear all the detail and neuance. I am willing to sacrifice some of that mid-range bloom so that I could hear the color of the instrument, the musician's technique, and the ambiance of the venue. I could totally understand that this is very user and music dependent. If I listened to jazz CDs from the 50s and 60s, then I would want something that makes these aggressively dehissed and thin-sounding CDs into a more full sound. It's all a matter of taste and music preference.

In the meantime, I say let the debate continue. That's what makes this hobby fun. We are all neurotic creatures that get that little twinge in the back of our head when we hear that our toys are not the best. And then that little voice starts back up...

I wonder who will make the best CD player in 2005?
Post removed