To Ride and Not Go Deaf

For my mid-life crisis I chose to revisit the skill of driving motorcycle. If anyone is interested I secured a 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650, which makes me look vaguely like a street bike rider, only with classic rider posture which is far more sensible for my frame.

How does this pertain to audio? I had forgotten how hellishly noisy cycles are! My goodness, what a lovely way to go deaf! The wind noise is atrocious, and I can grasp why so many cyclists have hearing problems over time.

I'll do my best not to be one of them. I have been using those foam 32dB reduction ear plugs and have a full helmet, but still the noise is nasty. I've made the decision to seek the best in helmets with noise reduction and a good seal around the neck. Seems the Schuberth brand of Germany is excellent, if not inexpensive. It'll be worth every penny if it reduces the malestrom to tolerable levels. The snarl of the motor and the wind whipping my body is one sort of "music" I want getting nowhere near my ears! It looks like the pro version of Schuberth's C3 gets dBs down to about 82.

Any comments from Schuberth users or those insisting there is another even more worthy brand to consider when it comes to noise diminishing capability? (Yes, I did get a larger wind screen) I have done some searching on the net, now I would like your input.

Now I look at those motoring on the freeway without a helmet and I think not only, "You're dead if you wipe out," but also, "You're deaf, even if you don't wipe out!"
:(

I'm looking for all wisdom in helping me to have a quiet ride so I can grow to a ripe old age (God willing) as an audiophile fulfilled. TIA
douglas_schroeder
Some thought provoking responses; thanks.

I believe I am at this point going to invest in the expensive, but supposedly world class noise diminishing Schuberth pro helmet. Combined with foam ear plugs at 32 dB reduction they should provide substantial protection.

As regards riding, perhaps it is my inexperience, but I would believe that your eyes will save you when riding, not your ears. My philosophy would be that I must see literally all that is going on around me and never rely upon hearing other vehicles. I would suspect that sloppiness and casual lane changes, etc. would creep into driving habits if I thought I could "hear trouble" coming.

I believe that if I know I have reduced hearing I will be more dependent upon my vision and not slack in terms of looking to be constantly aware of my surroundings. If I'm wrong, I guess I die.

Seriously, I would rather wear a helmet and ride with the disadvantage of diminished hearing than to ride with no helmet and hear more noise. I do not believe that the ability to hear approaching vehicles would be improved without a helmet, as the noise level is so much greater.

Anyway, the discussion is good here. In the not too distant future I may migrate to a more substantial bike with faring and larger windscreen. I was hoping the new Honda CTX would fit as it has a flared front to block wind, but it was dinky, not a hope of my riding it. I would have to get into a larger sport touring bike.

I will be very curious how the noise reduction goes with the new helmet. Ponying up four times the cost of my first helmet, it had better be good! I believe that if the noise is not much reduced, then I likely will be forced to look for a different bike/design with a lot more blockage of wind.
Doug, not to turn this into a discussion of riding, rather than noise, but if you are new to bikes (I started riding in my mid-40's):
1. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course
2. Practice constantly in big parking lots- the safety course doesn't equip you to ride on the street- it barely scratches the surface.
3. gear up- not just helmet but body protection and good boots with ankle protection that aren't too clunky to manage shifter;
4. check into sticky tires- makes a huge difference in grip and have the bike gone over by a competent mechanic.
5. ride with a buddy- not to compete but to learn and have a wingman
6. don't go beyond your limits
7. be careful in the wet (those first twenty minutes or so, when all the oil leeches out of the road surface) can be deadly
8. don't ride when fatigued.

enjoy.
All excellent points and suggestions by Whart. Doug, you can sell a lowest end cable and get a state of the art helmet. Safe riding :)
Post removed 
All riders should enjoy the camaraderie above all. It doesn't matter what brand you ride. I respect Doug from his many posts, etc. I learned about a great helmet brand through this thread. When I was ending high school in 76' I had a 74' Kawasaki H2, 750 2-stroke. 3 cyl, 3 carbs, 3 pipes, and expansion chambers to boot!! Loud and obnoxious!! I can't really complain about open pipes now. I have a Ducati MH900E. My friends who are lifetime Harley owners make fun of it. (Harleys do run better these days) Why do Harley owners always rev their throttles at red lights? Cause they won't idle. HA What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover? The position of the dirt bag. HA Just jokes! Back to audio: My amps quieter than your amp! HA