Which DAC?

The most agonizing decision thus far in my quest for better sound is which DAC. Been reading for months with no opportunity to audition DACs in my area. I realize DACs are system dependent.
Preference: Accurate musical reproduction. Can't tolerate bright systems. Lean more toward analog - tube sound.
System: McIntosh tube preamp & SS amp. Merlin VSM w/Bam. Sony CD - toslink connection.
Looking At. Kora Hermes, Perpetual Tech P3A, Bel Canto Dac2, dAck Ack, Art DIO w/Mod and Channel Islands VDA-1 combo, Audio Note Zero (or any others).
Price Range Used/New: Under $800 if possible.
Have heard the MSB 24/96 on my system and too bright and mechanical for me.
Thanks in advance. Jim
slhijb
If you hate the bright and mechanical, then you'll love the Kora Hermes. My HermesII just trounced the Audiomat Tempo dac, and the Audiomat costs $1100 dollars more! Detail, soundstaging, seperation of instruments, depth without shrinking instruments/voices, layering...its all there in this dac. What is rarely talked about is the punchy dynamics this dac is capable of. This is the most analogue sounding dac this side of a turntable that I have ever heard...and I've heard a few.
Hope this helps

dudeaudio
One that you should add is the Scott Nixon tube dac. Not expensive at all and might be just what you are looking for.

I am very partial to the Musical Fidelity A324. It is the best Dac I have ever heard. Has a sound that is just plain musical without the grime and grit that most lower end digital sounds like. Very analog like and it is the same circuit used in the more expensive Nu-Vista CD player without the use of the tubes. I couldn't believe the stunning differences between the unit and a very good sounding Musical Fidelity stand alone player that I compared it to.

All the best.