The best var. out CD player for under 1500 used?

Seeking input from other 'goners for a CD player with volume control for direct connection to my Spectral DMA 90. Any suggestions? I need to simplify my system, and was hoping to do it for around a grand but will go 50% higher if needed. 24/96 is a pre-req, but SACD is not. Any input will be appreciated...
Hello 1741,
I'm using a Cary CD308 (solid state unit not the "T"). It has the variable volume controll, 24/96 and HDCD. I do not run a Spectral amp nor do I run it straight into my amp but I can and will attest to the Cary's ability to deliver a fine presentation of red book CD's, especialy well recorded ones.

Search the archives using my AudiogoN user name "Reubent". I have commented on this subject numerous times.

BTW, I previously owned the Cary CD-308 that "Wizard454" mentioned. It is a good player too, but I prefer the Quad 99 CD-P. If the price were equal, I would buy the Quad. If the Cary were $100+ cheaper, well, I'd have to think about it!

Enjoy,

TIC

"Reubent"
Dimitriou,

Do ANY of the players you mentioned actually have variable volume control? I don't recall any of those showing up when this question is asked.

TIC