Alesis Masterlink as a CD Player?

Does anyone use this recorder as a CDP in their systems? I'm wondering how it stacks up. A year ago, Michael Fremmer's review in Stereophile compared it to a $5000 MF Nuvista CDP, and said that it was a bit on the cold/sterile side. But how does it compare to a good $1000 CDP? Those in the know, please speak up!!! I'm thinking its use in a second system could "kill to birds with one stone". Thanks.
peter_s
I agree with the above two posts not to waste your time with the Alesis Masterlink. I bought a used one to do some
mastering here at my studios (I own a media duplication and editing company). It does a nice job for editing to disc, but has a noise level you will probably find unacceptable for home use.
If you are thinking of buying a CD recorder, there are lots of other options available that produce far less noise. I have a Marantz CDR500 - which is a dual well commercial CD player/recorder - that produces almost no noise and will probably do many of the things an Alesis will do at about half the price. More than likely, would serve as a decent playback unit - as it has RCA, balanced, and digital outputs.
I hope these thrads are not correct. I bought a new Alesis ML 9600 last year and have not used it yet. I was waiting to do some CD recording with a Mark Levinson 37 and 360S Dac. I would like to hear other input. Anyone had problems with theirs. I do not see any on Audiogon for sale, so who is correct? Stereophile or the two who replied to the thread?
Mark,

I have upgraded both the CDRW drive and the Hard drive
on mine. The new hard drive ( 40 gig ) is much quieter
than the original 4.3 gig. I replaced the CDRW because
it was having trouble reading disc's and was getting
very "picky" about which disc's it would record on.
I'm not complaining about the unit. As a recorder, it
is very powerful. I use mine to transfer vinyl. Usually
record at 88.2/24 and let the Alesis down sample it to
redbook.
When you get it set up, I would like to know if your 360S
will lock on an 88.2 signal. I tried to lock with my AVP2
and it will not. Only does at 44,48 and 96?

Joemt.

Mark 7767,

I agree with Avideo and Joemt, that is that the Masterlink does fine for what it's designed--record, rudimentary "editing," and burn redbook CD's. I have spoken with a number of professionals who all agree about the ML's value. I'm just getting to know mine. For CD playing, use a conventional CD player. The Masterlink is just not optimized as a CDP. It is better at editing than the Marantz CD Recorder.
Thanks guys,

I plan on using my Alesis ML 9600 to record compilaton CDs for DJing. I hope my Mark Levinson will lock onto the 88.2/24 signal. If not, I have a dCS Purcell upsampler that I can use with the Mark Levinson 360S and record in standard redbook. I have the new one with 40GB hard drive.

Do you think music stored on the hardrive recorded in standard redbook then upsampled to 24/96 and feed into the Mark Levinson 360S will sound good? I would like to store some playlists for party times.