Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt, yes, The Aesthetix digital products use the X-Mos chip and the Burr-Brown 1792A chips, I am very familiar with all vesions of the 1792 Dac chips, owned a few, hope this helps.
Alex-APLhifi-usa, Hi, your attenuator-volume control appears to be very similiar to the one that Aesthetix impliments when Bought in the Romulas and Pandora digital products, congrats on a very good volume control, this is what I am saying, The technology these days with attenuator-volume controls in some digital products are closeing the gap, if not better, with performance versus an active pre-amp.
08-08-14: Audiolabyrinth
Melbguy1, welcome to this great thread, are you going for the vitus player?
Thank you kindly AL! You guessed right. I plan on upgrading to a Vitus Signature Series spinner (SCD-025) for synergy with my SIA-025, though i'm waiting on a new DSD USB board to be released in a couple of months. Imho it is the most musical sounding single box player in the world, but of course is not cheap!
@Lula: I do think the Signature upgrade is a major improvement with respect to redbook; however, IMHO the upgrade cost is not inexpensive. I probably would have a difficult time justifying the cost solely for redbook, but I have a pretty extensive collection of DSD that I really enjoy, so the DSD capability was my primary motivation. My decision was made much easier by being able to purchase a demo Romulus from a dealer going out of business at a great price.

I'm not a good candidate to critique the transport capability as I very rarely use it--99.9% of my use is solely as a DAC--I would have bought the Pandora and saved the extra cost but for the great deal on the demo Romulus.
Alex, what user-controllable options are available via remote or front panel on DSD-S, besides PCM2DSD 64 vs 128 conversion?

G.