Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
matt, I also wanted you to know, there is NO difference in sound quality between the Romulas signature cd-player and the Pandora signature dac, getting the cd-player that does all the Dac does would eliminate some cables and save you money, and you can still use your usb connections for absolute computer audio, cheers ole chap.
I'm definitely enjoying this thread and following Matt's journey. Lots of really great DACs being mentioned.

I've had my Aesthetix Romulus back with the Signature upgrade installed for about 5 weeks now. I'm very, very happy with the sound (it's predessors included the Meitner MA-1 and a brief fling with the Lampi Big 5 w/DSD--the Lampi had some problems and so I didn't get to hear it for long or at its best I'm sure).

I'm loving the Romulus Sig and having lots of fun tuberolling (my pre is the Aesthetix Calypso and I love that it uses the same tubes). I haven't been able to get the Romulus Sig to play DSD files via its spdif inputs (supposed to via DoP of course), but I'm not sure if the problem is the DAC one my Audiobyte Hydra X usb converter. But DSD via the Romulus USB input is sublime. That beying said, I think where I truly prefer the Romulus Sig over my prior DACs is on PCM & redbook.

Enjoy Matt!

Randy
Darn auto correct. I meant predecessor DACs and that I wasn't sure if the problem playing DSD via spdif lies with the DAC OR the usb converter :)!
Audiolabyrinth and Rrsclyde - Thank you both for the input and info. I am certainly open and interested in giving the Aesthitix Signature DAC a listen (either the Romulus or Pandora). I'm just waiting to get the email or call from John (my local dealer) to offer me a few days to give it a listen. As always, I'll post my results.

Does anyone know what DAC chip the Aesthtix uses? Just curious.

Alex, you definitely lost me on your last post, but I am truly enjoying the back and forth between you and Steve (as long as it stays civil and collegial). I am learning a ton!!!
Alex said... "Yes, I have read your posts that you don't like the sound of AKM DACs, but try to convince the owners of Esoteric K-01, for example, that their player
doesn't sound good because it has AKM inside."

Bingo! A couple of years ago I had an Esoteric K-01 loaner in my system for quite a spell, and its music with 4X upsampling and Slow Delay 2 (apodizing) filter was sheer magic to my ears.

Let us not get too hung up about the quasi religious propriety of using a particular chip, electronic part, sub-circuit design tactic, etc... The totality of a component is often much more than the raw sum of its parts... While sometimes, sadly enough, it ends up being much less than the aforementioned sum of such promising parts.

G.