What's under YOUR CD player?

Will I really improve the sound from my Ikemi CD player by putting something under it, other than the walnut shelf it sits on inside my antique hutch stereo cabinet?

Will upgrading the power cord to a PS minilab cable help also?

Or, should I just play the music?

(it's fun though, isn't it!)
jbatlanta
until last night i didn't believe that putting something under the Cd player will iprove the sound...i tried sand, bike innertubes, cones, etc...well, last night a friend of mine that makes a lot of covers for turntables made me a platform supported by air...yes, air!...this thing is made out of two plexiglass sheets with a proprietary suspension between them that creates this cushion of air...the bass became more tight (it was kinda boomy before), quieter background...i wasn't imagining...i had 3 other friends over and we all heard the same thing...i guess, these things work...but, as i said at the beginning, i've never heard a difference between cones, sand bags, innertubes and nothing else but the shelf...until last night...this thing is amazing...
I put a turntable on the shelf above my CD player. Improved the sound of my system immensely. The best sound is achieved with the the CD player turned off.
Right now, my Levinson 37 transport and 360S DAC sit on a regular ol' MDF shelf. I bought two Townshend Seismic Sinks for them, but the Sinks shifted music to such an analytic character that it almost made my ears bleed. Fortunately, the Sinks worked very well under tube pre-amp and amp.

I've also tried Vibrapods and thick Maple slabs to no avail. The Levinson components are heavy (35 lbs? each) and have rather specialized looking accordian shaped rubber and metal feet. I'm slowly coming to the realization that the stock footers control vibrations quite well. I'll continue to try other stuff though;>). Cheers. Craig
In the past a variety of things have sat under my digital gear. Inner tubes, rubber footers, BDR cones (with and without "Those Things"), etc. have taken up residence at one time or another.

Currently there are two 5 lb. Ziplock bags (actually they're double bagged) of #30 mesh industrial sand on top of the CAL Delta transport. There is another 5 lb. bag on top. The Alpha DAC sits on two of these bags with a 2.5 lb. bag of sand on top. Each component is on its own MDF shelf that sits on spikes attached to a tubular steel rack that has also been filled with sand.

Interestingly, this set up sounds the same as the BDR Cones w/Those Things, but is way more stable (the CAL gear is a lightweight ~8 lbs. each).

BTW, this looks like hell, so I'm looking for some nice covers for the sand bags.