Mozart,Haydn,Beethoven String Quartets......

Anybody have a specific quartet preference in regards to these performances? I am looking for great performances and great digital recordings...thanks...
128x128phasecorrect
they are interesting... they are one of the uncategorizable "authentic" quartets, due the inventiveness and instinctive playing of Hobart. Will gve them a relisten. I recall thinking that Hobart kind of outshined the rest of the group....
It's possible that Hobart does so, just as Cropper does (or tries to do) in the Lindsays. And Cropper snifs so much that I can hardly listen to more than a few minutes at a time!
Wake me up when you decide to go beyond the precursors
to the greats of the string quartet: Schubert and
Bartok. Most anything by the premier Emerson String Quartet
lights me up. Although I will make a case that Mozart's
String Quintets are interesting. And maybe the most sublime
chamber music is the Brahms' String Sextets. In my 6CD
changer right now:

1.Schittke/Piano quintet
2.Brahms/String Sextets
3.Shostakovich/Late string quartets
4.Webern/Complete chamber works
5.Mozart/String Quintets
6.Debussy/Ravel/String Quartets
schubermaniac,

This thread was about Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, regardless of what you think about these composers.

Why not start another thread on Schubert, inter alia?
Ewha, I really like that dvorak piano quintet recording with rubinstein. It is my favorite Guarneri S.Q. recording who otherwise I find sound overproduced. I didn't know why I liked that particular recording for the longest time and then I was told that they sight read the piece the studio. Of course they had all performed that work many times... but it has a life and spontaniety that I find missing in many of their other recordings.