Hi Fi burnout.

Are you a victim of Hi-Fi burnout? A friend of mine who is "Into hi fi" recently called me to tell me he was selling all of his high end audio equipment! He was simply tired of keeping up with all the latest and greatest equipment trends. In his quest for the "Ultimate sound" he had upgraded several times at great expense. Sales people were only to happy to sell him what he "Needed" to "Really" improve his system. I think all told he accumulated some 150k in equipment!! What he forgot and lost sight of in his quest for the ultimate stereo, was to listen to the music!! Instead he would take pride in how great his speakers tweeter's sounded, and the the pages clipped out of various audio magazines that showed charts on his equipment and it's performance. He now owns a little Sony do it all portable stereo, and says he's happier for it because he's not so stressed about keeping up with all the new equipment. It's easy to see how this could happen. I look at my stereo equipment as a tool made for the extraction of music from vinyl or cd or tape. The music IS what matters and shall remain with us forever. In this day of hi tech accomplishments and super materials, you have to be very careful not to get sucked into the equipment junkie bottomless pit. Otherwise you could be spending some time at the Betty Ford Centre for recovering Audiophiles. What say you?
nocaster
The gentleman ( Friend of mine) who has sold all his expensive gear is apparently done with (The Gon) as well. It was I who shared his situation with the rest of the Audiogon crew, apparently he couldn't care less. I myself am very happy with my system and unlike my friend put the music first, not the equipment. This thread appears to have created quite a stir for some.
I think that this is a lot more common than we would like to think.

Most of this results from reading too many glossy mags, on-line reviews and audio forums where every product mentioned is "as good or better than anything i've ever heard in my life". As such, people feel compelled to try and / or buy everything that gets raved about. They do this with little concern for how well it is implimented in their system ( poor installation or component matching ) or if it really is as good as they read ( probably not ). After all, it's only money right? If it doesn't work out, i can sell it and buy something "better".

After about a dozen or two "betters" and you've only moved sideways ( and sometimes even backwards ) a few steps, "upgrading" gets old and stale. Your disdain for all that you've gone through is taken out on both the system and your enjoyment of music. By removing the system from the equation, much of the stress and disdain for past mistakes is removed and one can once again begin to enjoy the music. Even if it is on a "mini system" or a "boombox", music can still shake your body, raise your spirits and stir your soul.

If that is what it takes to bring joy and music back into someone's life, i'm all for it. I would hope that it doesn't get to that point though, hence my efforts to help educate people in a manner that may help them avoid multiple costly mistakes. I made many of those mistakes myself, hence my animosity towards many of the "guiding lights" in the industry. They tend to stroll you down a path that leads to the bottom of your wallet with frustration and misery close behind. Sean
>

PS... I'm curious as to how many of the components purchases were rated "Class A", "recommended buys", "product of distinction", etc ???
It sounds like your friend got caught up chasing somebody else's ideals, if you ask me. I mean, to the point of cutting out measurements to show how well his speakers perform? It sounds like a case of lost priorities more than hifi burnout.

If you can keep in mind what you actually want from your system, and if what you want makes it possible to just sit and enjoy listening to music, then things will work out.
Marco,

I am far from cured myself. I listen to my main stereo most of the time but when I do fire up my Tivoli radio I often think 'why do I waste my money?'

My point was that I do not think a lot of people get the synergy part right. You can have all the expensive equipment in the world with extension, definition etc but still miss the woody sound of a chello or the body of a guitar that somehow the Tivoli seems to capture and makes it involving.

I was just trying to get a little attention with the comment on it...

BTW where does the name Jax2 come from?

all the best

Phil

Hi Sean
You're right on the money. All of my burnout friends equipment was class A and highly regarded in the industry. It's like his stereo was a project in the works, and when it was completed there was nothing left to do but sell it. Plus as he has told me, he got tired of the endless purchasing of the "Best" equipment. I still maintain that hi fi equipment is only a tool, let the music move you and be you're focus.