Mac sound quality

I'm using the new IMac , burning my CDs in AIFF . Its hooked up to an audio grade power conditioner , power cord and run to a Levinson #360S dac from the digital out through a audio grade digital cable . The sound quality is not nearly as good as my mid fi CD player . Iv'e read many posts saying this type of hard drive is far better than good quality CD players , too many posts to disregard . What am I doing wrong , the other posters were down loading , but can there be that much difference ?
tmsorosk
TOSlink out to the DAC is not the best way to go, but it should be at least decent. What are you using for a TOSlink cable?
It's not the "hard drive" that is the problem. Its the internal clock jitter and the S/PDIF interface.

I recommend using an external USB converter or USB DAC. Most of these will have lower jitter. The new ones support up to 192kHz sample-rate. Playback with Amarra, Pure Music or Ayrewave is a must. Avoid using just itunes.

Also, rip CD's with XLD with Accurate-Rip not iTunes:

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
As i said above , iv'e tried several DACs including a friends USB DAC . The collective response was they were no better just different , maybe not even as good as the #360 . So much for asynchronous DACs being better .
How do I rip with XLD ?
Tmsorosk-won't comment on PC Audio. I'm just a Novice at
experimenting with PC Audio. Used to own ML 360S. I
believe that was DAC requiring Power Cord be inserted in
center bottom panel-PITA! Toslink Input on 306S was just
so-so Sound Quality. ML did their best work with Balanced
Circuits. Used to use Transparent Digital AES/EBU on
Digital Input to ML DAC, along with Transparent Power Cord.
If you really like the ML DAC, and want to keep it, you
could try M2Tech EVO USB to Digital AES/EBU Converter. I
do believe it works with MAC and PC. Driver installation should be easier with MAC. You could try ML with and without Power Conditioner. Contacted ML once, they claimed Power Conditioners always fowled up the sound of their 360S. That was awhile back.