$6-7k to Spend on Turntable

Hi All,

My old Oracle Mark II I have had for years has developed a serious problem with the motor. It plays very fast then slow and anywhere in between. I've decided not to fix it but get a new unit. The arm mounted on it is an SME IV, which I have been very pleased with.

I don't have time to demo a bunch of setups, I'd just like to move ahead on a replacement as soon as I can firm up a good replacement. A few ideas I have come up with within my price range:

- Verdier Platine and mount my old SME IV
- VPI TNT Mk 6 and figure out how to mount my old arm or spend some extra and get the JMW 12.5 if it is an improvement over the SME

Or is there something else out there that I should be considering? I don't tend to follow a lot of the reviews. I usually buy something then use it for years.

Other gear is AR SP-8 and VT-200 driving some Final 0.4s

Thanks,

Ken
iflyfisher
This one is pretty simple. Get a Teres 340 and you are set for life.
I spent a year and a half researching and then took a leap of faith and bought a Teres 340. The sonics are staggeringly good. The table is a breeze to maintain and it is all guaranteed for life. Chris Brady is a dream to deal with.
You will probably only fine ecstatic Teres owners.
Give / email Chris and save yourself a lot of time and grief.
Regards,
Larry
Ken,

Perhaps we would be able to better match a table to your needs if you provided a bit of information about what you are look (or listening) for.

As is, we can only respond with what we like.
Yes, I replaced the belt, but I still have issues with the motor turning too fast. 33 1/3 is very close to 45 rpm, but it also slows down below 33 1/3. It won't maintain a constant speed at all. I've been wanting to upgrade for some time anyway, so this is sort of the push to get me to do it.

Regarding the Teres 340, I hadn't really considered that table. Interesting that both recommendations I got were for that table. They are beautiful units, but I have never seen one in person. I'll do some more research on them. Can I mount my SME on the deck or do I need a new arm?

Ken
I have a new TNTjr with a MK6 platter on a REALLY solid foundation. It sounds excellent, so much so that I'm not sure whether it's worth getting the dual motor setup or peripehry ring. I've had a good listen to the HRX and it IS slightly better but not worth the extra money.
Your SME is a great piece of kit and I don't think you can top it unless your willing to part with lots of money on something like a Kuzma airline. My Eminent technology out-tracked a JMW 12.5. Other tonearms similar to yours will not give you much more satisfaction than what you already hear,IMHO.
Those Teres tables look stunning too and could be a worthy contender considering the press they get here, but I've never been fortunate enough to hear one.
I have heard however the Verdier table and would recommend it as well, it is very resolving.
The point is when you get to this price level not much will sound BAD!!! The law of diminishing returns kicks in big time around the $3000+mark so choose whichever table gives you the greatest pleasure listening to. It doesn't hurt if it's a little eye candy as well.
The Teres all come with an armboard and I believe that they can be drilled by Teres to allow you to mount the SME.
Email Chris Brady with any of your questions:

[email protected]
Rgds,
Larry