What is the advantage of a balanced interconnect?

How does a balanced interconnect work (perform) as opposed to a regular interconnect?

I've been out of the "market" for a while and am a little behind. It seems "balanced" is better; however, one guy told me that unless I am running long lengths I don't need to worry about balanced interconnects. Equipment would be NAD or Parasound CD Player, undetermined DA Converter (the $3,000 question), tube monoblocks, and Magneplaner speakers (probably just 1.6's). [I think I hope to purchase a DAC with a volume control and run the interconnect directly to the amplifier - no pre-amp. I think.]

A quick primer on balanced interconnects would be appreciated. Thanks
delsfan
Rwwear...How do I go about evaluating a device that eliminates inaudible noise?
I have not reviewed the suggested thread so this might be redundant: Another factor is that many amps with balanced inputs are not really balanced at all. They just provide the inputs and then internally convert the signal to unbalanced.
The 2nd harmonic is one after the first harmonic, and two before the fourth harmonic.
However you want Eldartford. It's obvious you don't have a balanced system.
Rwwear...And it's just as obvious that you do. I have used balanced lines outside the home audio application, and am well aware of their characteristics. My system doesn't need them. Evidently, yours does.