Trans Temp W, Magic Diamond cartridges - comments

Thanks to these forums, I feel like I know everything there is to know about ZYX's, but has anyone anything to say about the new Transfiguration Temper W? How about this year's cult fave, the Bluelectric Magic Diamond (Lloyd Walker's current favorite.)
128x128nsgarch
Thanks, I'll respond at length after I set it up. FYI, the new version of the V has the same "technological changes" as the W. That is what the USA distributor told me.
Reb -- that's interesting, I didn't know the newer materials were being used in the V, although it just makes sense when you think about it. I was interested in your associated equipment though, if you want to share that info.

Neil
As a very happy owner of a "V",let me emphasize that the body MUST tilt backwards at quite a large degree.You must actually view the stylus tip from the side,and make sure(as best as you can) that it is(the actual diamond,which is small,so good luck here)vertical to the record.This is indicated in the instructions,though a good listen,over a few sessions is best.Good luck!!
Sirspeedy, can you confirm that the most recent batches of "v" does indeed have the same advances as the "W". Thanks for the tip, not unusual for a MC to be configured with the arm down at the rear.

Nsgarch, I'm in the process of upgrading my system to higher level components(after a temporary cut-back) So, most of what I own right now is around the 3k per component level. Nothing here right now that is at your level. But my system is set-up to deliver a flat frequency response aka-neutrality. The arm however is a modified Rega RB1000 and that will never change. Phonostage is a modified Lukaschek T-9 with custom external power supply. That also will not change as I have not heard a more transparent phonostage- even in stock form. I recently had a Klyne 7PX3.5 and sold it because I prefer the Lukaschek.
Reb -- sounds like you have (and will have) good support components. Why don't you post your system here when you get a little further?

Just for your and Speedy's info, I checked my Transfig W stylus position (in the groove) under high power magnification, with the cartridge body (actually the top surface of the cartridge body) absolutely parallel to the record surface. The stylus is raked at approx. 1.25 degrees (with no down force applied) which is the average cutter rake angle. So it makes sense that the Transfig instructions say to start with the tonearm parallel to the record before fine-tuning VTA (really SRA as far as I'm concerned :~)

I'm not saying you should keep it that way, but it will give you a point of reference. vdH cartridges, by comparison, have zero stylus rake angle when the body is parallel to the record. So to get a 1 degree rake angle on a vdH stylus, you need to raise the back end of the tonearm between 4 and 8 mm from a parallel setting.

Further info on my initial settings for the TTW (please let me know what you come up with) are: downforce= 1.90g anti-skate= 1.4g. SME V arm parallel to record (for now). BTW, here's a tip for setting anti-skate force that is absolutely infallible, but which takes a little observational practice (and you do need an arm with a lifting lever like the SME) It is very effective with the Transfiguration V or W because the stylus is so easy to see from the front: With the arm up and positioned midway over the first track, with a strong light pointed at the front of the cartridge and (if your eyesight's like mine, a big reading magnifier as big a your face!) watch very carefully from the front, the position of the stylus/cantilever as you lower the arm. Just as the stylus goes into the groove, (and with no anti-skate applied) it will appear to move closer to the outside of the cartridge body (because the arm is trying to pull in toward the center of the record.) It's a lot more obvious than it sounds like it would be. Begin applying anti-skate until you can no longer perceive this movement and the stylus appears to stay in the same place in or out of the groove. No need for perfection here, your ears are for that. Better though to err a little on the side of too little rather than too much, and then you can increase it a little, if necessary, as your hearing dictates.