AudioMeca vs. AudioAero vs. Electrocompaniet

Hi, Soon i will be looking for a cdp my choices are: Audiomeca Keops($1800 new) Audio Aero Prima(old model $1500 new model?) or a used 24/96 Electrocompaniet ( around $2200 with potential future upgrade $1K). I'm sure you can't go wrong on any of the 3. However a few comments may help me to make the best choice. I have a Jadis Orchestra(40 watt). So i need a cdp with good low frequency resolution. Thanks
tweekerman
Farhad, the Mephisto doesn't exactly "lack" bass - it's output does seems softer than the Audio Aero when using similar interconnects and power cords.

Changing the interconnects around produces more or less bass perceived bass on each of these units.

For instance, I found for both of these players, I liked to use Audio Note Kondo KSL between the CD and Preamp. For the Mephisto, I liked a pair of NBS Statement between the preamp and amp... This gave fantastic dynamics - superior detail and created a certain silence between notes. Strong and accurate bass.

Using the same interconnects on the Audio Aero gave me too much resolution - it was less comfortable to listen to. And seemed a bit "harsh" - Acoustic bass was bigger sounding but not quite accurate. So I swapped out the NBS Statement for a Stealth PGS. The PGS smoothed out some of the detail and added a softer quality to the music, taking some of the edge off - bass was diminished ever so slightly by seeming a bit less overpowering and so were the overall dynamics. As a result the soundstage tightened and became more focused. I felt that the PGS was a better match for the Audio Aero than the NBS was. But may not be the perfect IC for this combo. It would take more time to decide.

So far, I am totally undecided whether or not a CD player is the upgrade to make if you seek increased bass. While we all want all the frequencies I have found that most every high end CD player out there will help a system to produce its optimal level of bass only when the right associated interconnects and power cords are used.

Neglecting that will result in limited performance of your CD player - regardless of which one you choose.

As audiophiles we want it all - we want WEIGHT in our music and Transparency... We want Macrodynamics and Microdynamics... we want speed we want pace and timing, we want inner-detail and outer extension. It is very difficult to get everything - which makes this hobby such a challenge. Live music is capable of producing everything but very few high end systems are.

This is why tweaking with the right interconnects and powercords is mandatory at this level of audio-perfection. It takes time and patience but ultimately pays off in results.

Does this make sense?
Maybe I can explain more... If the Mephisto were to be connected to a Krell preamp and Krell amplifier, I doubt anyone would complain about bass output. The Krell's would do their share of compensation.

If we connect the Audio Aero to the same Krell's... the bass output might be more extended.

But... is it realistic? Doubtful.

Now remove the Krells and insert a Conrad Johnson Preamp and a low wattage Jadis amplifier. You will loose bass extension... In this case, the Mephisto would be too soft in the bass but so would the Audio Aero - even though it would be a bit better than the Mephisto.

Is this realistic? Doubtful.

The key to sonic perfection is more about system synergy - the sum of the whole - than any single component by itself. If we look at a system composed entirely of the highest rated components, it could very easily be "over the top" and quite unlistenable - just as easily as it could be simply not enough.

Without knowing your system I can only presume that you are concerned that if you should happen to buy a Mephisto the bass would simply vanish or not be enough to satisfy your tastes. This is not necessarily true. If your system is well matched (amp has enough power to drive your speakers - and a REALLY GOOD preamp) you will have good bass. IF your system is not well matched or perhaps you have a situation where the amp can barely drive the speakers, then the Mephisto will not add any bass - it won't remove bass either.

Does this make sense???
Because of this thread, I've learned more about these three great players than in any magazine or online review I've ever read. Good job AudiogoNers!
The audio critic Mr M Fremmer of the Absolute Sound recently got a letter concerning his review of the HOVLAND pre SAPHIRE ..blasting his overzealous review. Mr Fremmer blasted back. But i must say Fremmer is learning. His review of the KORA Cosmos vs Audio Research VT200 was to me a more honest review compared to the idiots at Sterophile...MUDDLEHEADS! Heck all "professional" audio critics could learn alot from Bwhite on how to review with honest clarity. Bwhite's reviews are the real thing.. the others are jokes but they're not funny.