Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt just for fun, we should figure out a time/day to meet at John's to listen. I personally don't care about who wins what or what some folks think is best. I wish them all the luck in the world. I also thinks it's silly for folks to read what others think about a product, especially in this realm and make their purchase based off of it. I never understood that. I get it that some can't get out to hear everything, but why throw money at something if you or someone you really trust hasn't listened to it extensively?
It's sad to think that any company will/has be/been hurt in any way by anything posted here.

I'm not sure if everyone realizes that Aesthetix's has the Romulus/Pandora Signature (CD/DAC or DAC) coming out. You can get your old units upgraded. Tons of changes. John doesn't have it in yet as it's so recent. That's the one that Matt is waiting on.

The bottom like is that this is no different than any other shoot out. Different flavors for everyone. We all hear and like different things, but so many don't realize that. I notice that some posters here seem to have such strong opinions, but may not even play in this league and may not have even heard any or all of these DAC's. It's a very interesting read when you go back and check it out. I"m impressed that this hasn't become a pissing contest and I"m extremely impressed by Steve and his posts. I didn't know about your products until this thread, so that's great marketing. I hope that if Matt doesn't 'chose' your products that it won't hurt your business in any way. That would be a darn shame. In listening last week to vinyl vs digital, there is still a huge difference in sound to my ears. If you have a true hirez recording, then digital does things that vinyl never could, but vinyl still is so easy to listen to. If the sound of todays' high end digital comes down in price to the 3k range, I'm all in now that I've upgraded my vinyl to where I'm happy. That's just me thought and I fully respect those of you who are able to spend what it takes to get the sound that you want.
Although I would enjoy the social get together CTsooner, it is pointless to me to hear equipment anywhere except my system for an accurate comparison.

Maybe we can find a night for you and Merrill and a few others to meet at my house for a listen.
Also, the DSD-S is on its way. No idea what to expect with that.

The DSD-S is scheduled to arrive in NY this Friday. :-)

Power cord and a special USB cable are included, as well as SD card with demo tracks on both DSD and CD formats, including some recordings from my reference vinyl rig. :-)

Let's see if the DSD-S DAC will help you realize your dream about removing the preamp from the rack. :-)

Best wishes,
Alex Peychev
APL Hi-Fi, Ltd.
ok, you got my attention, Aplhifi, what do you mean about the above statement, DSD-S Dac will help you realize your dream about removing the pre-amp from the rack?, please specify the brand and model if you are talking about a Dac that can run direct to amplification that sounds very good to you?
APL HiFi is the manufacturer. The model is the DSD-S.

He offered to send one to me for audition. I am happy to hear it if he's willing to get it to me. I will report honestly, as always.

It's not really my "dream" to run direct. I'd say my dream would involve several hundred Victorias Secret models, a remote island, a barrel of Hershey chocolate bars, a limitless supply of steak and no other man but me on the island..... Ok, and a good stereo. ;)