Are today's interconnects really better?

I own Audioquest Emerald ICs- which was a good cable in its day (probably 15 years old). Are today's cables that much better than 15 year old cables?
rockyboy
When I've had the opportunity to audition different cables, I initially think I hear significant improvements (maybe it's my desire to want to hear improvements or maybe it's just "differences" I hear). But a week later when I revert back to my old cables (whether speaker or interconnects) I find myself admitting that my old cables really aren't that bad. And to gain the small improvement, I have to spend a chunk of change. So I easily talk myself out of the upgrade.
I also think one of the big problems is the huge selection of cables - there's too many choices! There's the big names and then there's the mom and pop shops. It's not easy here in the midwest to audition many cables. And I'm afraid that the perfect cable for my system will be out there and I'll inadvertently overlook it. So I'm intimidated into doing nothing. Pray for me!
IMHO, big or small improvement has to do with everything you got. If your system is not as refined down to microscopic level then you probably can't tell much difference. Think of it as taking picture with a cheap vs good lens. At 2X3 size, you probably can't tell much difference. At 8X10 size, you might seen some difference with focus and color satuation. At 20X24 blow up print, the difference might be so great that cheap lens image quality is blur, grainy, lots of lens barrel distortion, color mismatched.... At that level, you probably couldn't go back to the cheap lens any more. You just need to figure out where you stand as of now.
The differences from cable to cable will vary with the components that it connects and the electrical characteristics of the cable itself. As such, results will vary and not always in the same direction when there are differences. The key here is to buy gear that is stable into various loads AND select cables that have all of their design aspects taken into consideration. By stabilizing the components and using cables with electrical characteristics that don't interfear with transmission of signal anywhere near or beyond the audible pass-band, the more transparent the system will be. Sean
>
To Sean's point - the other frustrating thing is more expensive or higher up the chain with the same brand might sound worse than a mid level cable - depending on components. So truely the only way to know what's best for you is auditoning in your home environment.
Better cables won't sound worse, they might reveal more of the shortcomings of lesser equipment though!

I had AudioQuest Emerald for several years. I was given the chance to audition a pair of Purist Colossus while I was using the Emerald. After a couple of days I determined that I would buy the Purist cable no matter how much they cost because they were so much better. When I learned the 1m pair cost $1200 I sent them back to the store. That happened a little more than ten years ago, since then I have replaced all of my cables with Purist. Their prices have come down and my spending ability has risen a little.

Their newer cables have come down in price from where the older models were priced, but in my experience they are better than all but the top-of-the-line Dominus.

I auditioned a pair of the Dominus ICs loaned by a friend from AudiogoN. They cost over $7000 so there was no way I could afford them, even as a used cable, but they sounded so good I could not believe it. I have never heard anything that caused such a great improvement in my own system. Even the purchase of a much better amp did not provide as great an improvement in the sound!

I went from a Emerald IC/Black speaker cable wired system to all Purist and the improvement was worth the cost. The new stuff simply sounds better.