Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I haven't heard the Romulus yet guys.

I didn't go to Audio Connection yet as I am waiting for the call from John that it is ready for a home audition.
"Matt, was at Audio Connections yesterday and got to hear the Romulus with the Vandy 7's in the big room. HOLY CRAP"

I think this sentence was confusing to some. It doesn't say, "Matt was at Audio Connection yesterday". Meaning that Matt (me) was at audio connection yesterday.

It says, "Matt, was at Audio Connection yesterday". Meaning: Hey Matt, I (meaning Ctsooner) was at Audio Connection yesterday….. Not meaning that Matt himself (me) was at Audio Connection. hehe

Just clarifying. I think many were confused.
I've been tellin' you guys that the Romulus is very damn good! But everyone wants to hear opinions from the guys who post 20 times per day. I don't post often, but I know what I'm hearing!!
I suspect that all the quality tube Dacs/CDPs sound excellent.

I myself am desperate to hear the DHT based Lampi Big7. From what I am getting as feedback, this is the new DAC standard. The lucky 20 people who own one need to stop keeping this secret to themselves.

Hopefully, I get to hear one next week in NYC.