help me pick a phono preamp.

Ok I just purchased a VPI Scout with Grado Sonata 0.5mv combo here on Audiogon. I now need a little help picking a phono stage. What I don't quite understand is "input load", how do you match that? What about gain? Budget around $1200 Any help appreciated. Thanks
128x128toddwj
That's interesting. I tried the calculator on kabusa.com and it shows 56db of gain to be just right for a .5mv cart.
Wonder if I've got a bad PH1 or something. I'll try switching to a different input on the pre, but wonder if there are any other PH1/Statement Sonata owners out there who can compare the relative volume of their phono inputs v. CD or other line stage...
I use a Monolithic PS-1 with HC-1b power supply and get a great sound. This model has been replaced with the PS-2 and it offers even better sound and higher gain. There was a lite review in the last issue of Stereophile and they loved it.

My PS-1 has 53 db of gain and the PS-2 has 60 db. It's a great phono stage and the price of both the pre-amp and the upgraded power supply would be around $750.

For Edesilvia, my 53 db of gain is enough for my Denon DL103R MC cart and it has only .3mv. So something's wrong with your PH1

Paul Green
OK, how the h*ll can I verify that its the PH1? Is there some way of using my multimeter to measure input V and output V?
Just a thought... Have you tried calling Grado and asking them about what you're experiencing? They've always been pretty good about talking directly to their customers who have questions.
718-435-5340