How good is my source?

I have a CAL CL 20 dvd player, since upgrading from my early 90's I've used the Sony 7700, Cal CL 10 and a CAL Alpha w/ a Kinergetics transport, I prefer the CL 20 over my previous sources but I am curious how much better units such as the Wadia 830, the Meridian 508.24 and the Electrocompaniet player are. I've checked some reviews but they haven't been much help. the Wadia review I read said it was on whole other level from players like the CAL but the review I read on the CAL said the differences between it and the Dcs combo where "almost superfical", I find both these comments hard to believe
mkaes
mkaes: you, as many who post queries on the 'gon, apparently presuppose that there is a group of folks with golden ears who can describe for you what your preferences ought to be better than you can perceive them for yourself. alternatively, you might consider your own sonic senses so superior to others' that you want to review what the great unwashed have to say, so that you can ignore or critique their opinions. neither of these rationales, or their corollaries, is an excuse for your failure to listen for yourself and make judgments on your own. the answers you derive experientially are better by far than those that can be given by anyone else, here, there or anywhere. -kelly
Mkaes, I'm afraid Cornfedboy didn't get his cornflakes this morning! We realize that not all of us can afford this stuff brand-new and get in-home demos on it. Anyway, having relatively good ears, a very revealing system, and a CL-20, I feel the CL-20 is very good but allows a bit of that digital listening fatigue on CDs. For me, a Perpetual Tech P1/P1A/P3A combo proved less fatiguing. But much of the new CD stuff has improved filtering, upsampling, re-sampling, or what not that reduces that fatigue. Wadia has been a pioneer in this game. I've heard the 830 at the dealer from whom I bought the CL-20 and thought it did indeed sound better on CDs, but couldn't afford it at the time. Now I have a Philips SACD1000 and even after hearing the crappier SACDs it's hard to go back to CDs. But here's a test for you, if you can hear a significant difference on the CL-20 between a CD and one of Classic's or Chesky's (decent) DADs, some of the newer gear makes CDs sound almost as good as the DADs on the Cal. Hope this helps a little.

Mike R.
I heard a demo(they were just resetting up a system) of the Arcam FMJ $2000 cd player. It sounded pretty good. Then they put in the Linn Ikemi and there was a significant difference in sound quality. I think it lists for about $3500. A greater sense of real players in the room. Just a suggestion for checking out high quality players.
Heh...
Here is my chance:
Has anyone notice that Cornfedboy is trying to make everyone to look stupid and there is only Cornfedboy who is "righteous" in Audiogon?
As far as on my listening opinion, the digital fatigue described by Mrowlands is present in digitally recorded vinyls also. P1A/P3A combo is able to shade the digital fatigue meaning colour the sound to the analogue-like level.
I havn't listen to CAL CL20 DVD player, but I've listen to Meridian 508.24 and I've been impressed. CDs sound like digitally recorded vinyls.