more major players jumping on the sacd bandwagon

this looks less and less like another betamax exercise to me. how do you interpret the latest news? see: http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1129

-kelly
cornfedboy
economics are taking over. the big boys see that dvd-audio is not working. sony is helping with the up-front costs. many music buyers are burning 16/44 copies or using MP3. the whole copy-protection thing was mis-handled. these companies see sacd as a credible solution to these challenges. it's only a start and could go either way but we may be whitnessing a real shift in the forces surrounding hi-rez.

just my 2 cents.
Audiophile support alone will not keep the SACD format afloat, but Sony along with other important music producers (like this article points out), is making it more of a reality every day .

I support it's success, and hope for its continued acceptance. it's the first significant improvement in digital since the release of CD, twenty years ago.
Well I just went to HMV and browse the entire catalog of available SACD and only found two I would buy even if I owned no CDs currently. However I happen to own those two on CD already and one of the two on LP as well. The redbook versions are excellently engineered, so how much better are we talking about?? I listen mostly to classical and some jazz. 99 percent of the classical listings are historic recordings, mostly by Szell, Ormandy, Bernstein. Must have been chosen because their names sell. Can't be because they are the best performances. I guess it will be a long wait for me before I upgrade.