LP storage? What do you use?

I am looking at how I store my lps. I currently store then in several ways.

(1). Shelfs bult into closet, on edge, with book ends to keep straight.

(2).6 milk crates with lps on edge.

Any input? What are others doing out there?

Regards,

Roy
royster
Fully agree with Agaffer. Some time ago, I asked at a local record store about front-facing shelves. The guy told me that they had miles of them in a warehouse from when the store was all-vinyl and said that if I stopped by they'd sell me as many as I wanted, cheap. Needless to say one must have more room to store LP's this way, but if you do have room, it is the only way to go, IMHO.

Building upon an idea from a poster on AA, whose screen name I can no longer remember, I then bought some used kitchen cabinets from a guy that was remodelling his kitchen (got very lucky that they were in good shape and matched my music room decor). I selected the upper cabinets, the ones that are not so tall as those used below the counter. I used these as a base to mount the record shelves upon (with a bit of modifications to accommodate different lengths and depth and some veneering of the record bin faces to match the cabinets). Now, I have a super record storage unit on top with plenty-o-storage below - and it looks great, to boot! Most highly recommended.
I also have 2 front loading vinyl display units, with sliding storage doors below. I got a call one day from a local used vinyl store that had a couple it needed to get rid of for free. They even delivered in their van.

I also have 2 metal medical file racks with metal dividers. Very heavy duty. About a year or so ago, there was a new law passed to protect a patients anonymity, so the files must have a way to be locked. Or something to that effect. The 2 I got came from a doctors office and hold my rock collection of Lp's, using the adjustable dividers as alphabetizers. The 2 front loaders store my Jazz, blues and audiophile pressings with room to grow.
I've been doing some research into the lp storage issue and finally decided to build by own. I need to store over 800 lps and prefer cubes to avoid the leaning issue and for their portability. I've figured that I can build 12 boxes with the dimensions 14"H, 13"W, 13"D using 1/2" plywood
for $150 including glue, nails, and stain. This price includes the cutting fee ($75) as I don't have a table saw.
I stack my cubes (presently milk crates) 6 wide by 2 high with my stereo system on top. I'll post again when I finish these - probably in the next couple of weeks.
make one yourself like this one:
http://www.dualsf.com/bakes_cabinet/
im building something similar but custumized for my personal rack and records.. 7 inches shelves and stuff. you can make that really cheap and looks GREAT