Most Sublime Beethoven Symphony

I am not an expert, but to me, the Beethoven Symphonies are divine.

I have especially enjoyed listening to the 3rd, 6th, and 9th and have a couple of versions of each floating around in my collection.

Perhaps they are just to my taste, but I seem to discover new things about them that draw me back again and again long after I have tired of other "classics".

A friend of mine who knows a lot more about music than I recommends Von Karajan highly, but I would love to hear from any of you regarding your thoughts on the best symphony, conducter, recording, performance etc. Would you agree that there is something very special about these works?

Any Beethoven gurus out there? Please give us your expert advice and opinions. Thank you.
cwlondon
Hi Cwlondon,

I am hardly a guru of Beethoven, I'll leave that to the more learned critics of Fanfare, Gramophone, etc...but I strongly encourage you to listen to Carlos Kleiber's (with Vienna Philharmonic, on DGG) recordings of the 5th and 7th symphonies. The performances are superb and have been in the catalog for many years. They are now available together on 1cd. He also has a live performance (only know of them on a Philips laser disc) with the Concertgebouw Orchestra of the 4th and 7th, which are also very fine. Also enthusiastically recommended is a live recording (used to be available on an Orfeo cd) of the 4th, with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Herr Kleiber's papa (Erich) recorded the 3rd (also with Vienna) that is also a must-hear.

I hope you get to know Carlos Kleiber's work, both in symphonic as well as operatic repertoire. He is trully "legendary."

With best wishes,
Santiago
I second the recommendation of Carlos Kleiber's performance of the 5th and 7th - truly outstanding.

If you have an interest in exploring some "original instrument" performances of the symphonies, try Roger Norrignton on EMI - particularly his performances of the 2nd and 4th.
Yes the Kleiber are worth getting. Also fun is the 5th and 7th by Benjamin Zander and the Philharmonia Orchestra that has a companion CD lecture by Zander of both symphonies. (Ben Zander also praises Kleiber in his lecture).

I've heard all the complete sets, and my favorite Beethoven symphony complete cycle is a rare unheard one to most. It is with the City of Birmingham Orchestra conducted by Walter Weller; on the Chandos label. It even has the first movement of what historians think is a draft of the 10th symphony.