Shipping Vinyl LP's

My brother-in-law is giving me 200 vinyl jazz albums from the 60's. The LP's are in Milwaukee and I'm in Los Angeles. Has anyone ever shipped a large quantity of vinyl before? I'm going to Milwaukee to pack them myself and to arrange shipping back here. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mitch
128x128mitch4t
Dan, I never got your photos. Did you send them to [email protected] as I requested? If you sent them to the address listed on Audiogon, I won't be able to retrieve them until the weekend.
Mitch, I'm glad you finally received the photos, and I'm sorry about my email error.

I agree...the crates are not the answer in your situation. Hopefully, they are just the ticket for the A'goners who do a lot of buying and selling of expensive audio and do not have time to bother with insurance claims.

Regards,
Dan
Dan,...the photos of the crates certainly are worthy of your "gorilla proof" and 'over-built' descriptions. For me a shipping crate has to be disposable...since this would be a one shot deal for me. Considering the price of your item, it seems more than likely.....I'd go with the double-boxed cardboard. Your box would make more sense for me if I auditioned or bought and sold a lot of equipment...at this time, I do not. From reading a lot of the posts on Audiogon from the guys that buy and sell often...your crate is just what the doctor ordered.

You might want to consider hinging all sides of the box so that when not in use, it could be broken down flat.
In my experience, anything heavy and fragile that could be damaged, trucking is the best (bax global) Trucking guys are kind of professional movers, they know how to lift and place correctly. I got my full range ribbons from Denver to Newfoundland,Canada (combined weight of $155 lb) and it arrived here standing upright in perfect condition.

The shipper recommended, I have never heard of them before.
Good luck