What LPs do you use for VTA adjustment

Hi. I'm a newbie to this forum, and also to VTA adjustment. Been making GROSS changes to my system over the past couple of weeks, which has resulted in my getting an SME V arm to replace the RB300 on my Voyd Valdi TT, at least for now. Now for the first time, I have an arm with adjustments.

My system was optimised to my budget in the mid 80s, during my TAN (The Audiophile Network - any members here?) days: Voyd TT, British/Musical Fidelity MVT preamp, 4 MA-50 poweramps (mono 50w Class A), Rogers Studio 1a speakers vertically bi-amped, Kimber PBJ and 4TC. My current cartridge is an original Vdh MC10. The only things that have changed over the years have been cartridges and CD players.

Been playing with the HFNRR test record for tracking and anti skating adjustments. Trying to figure out what all the fuss is about VTA. The 3 records I've tried so far are Ella & Louis "Together Again" MSFL Mono, Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" MSFL, and Air "Walkie Talkie". Other than making the cartridge mistrack when the rear of the arm got too low, I'm not sure if I've honed in on the sound changes. I'm probably being overwhelmed by how good it sounds relative to the RB300, especially in the bass.

Am i right in saying its not just VTA, but a combo of VTA and VTF that needs to be adjusted? When the rear of the arm is low, more weight makes it track again.

Can you guys/gals (if any here) recommend records and tracks that YOU use for VTA setup, and what you listen for.

Right now, with the stylus in the leadout groove, using the SME V ruler to the center line on the arm, front of the arm is at the trackout groove is 1cm above the LP, rear of the arm just after the leadin groove is 0.9cm - so rear is appx 1mm lower. Anyone have or remember what setting they use on the VdH MC10? VTF at 1.8 gms.

Any volunteers in Stamford, CT that want to lend me their ears?

Thanks, Samir.
gofast
There may be a standard cutting angle today, but there certainly wasn't back in the LP's glory days from 1955-70. Optimal arm height on same-thickness records from that era varies with the record label and date. It's clear to me that Decca/London, RCA and DGG/Archiv, to name just three, used different cutting angles. It may even have varied from one plant to another within the same company.

Obviously each of us can take this as far as we wish, and one could certainly "set and forget" if one chose. I suspect this might be more satisfactory with rock or other "processed" music than with classical. Large scale works with acoustic instruments are especially revealing of tiny setup changes, even more so if a chorus and soloists are involved. Getting it just right really brings them all to life.

Warning: just a week or so ago '4yanx' expressed some surprise that I was adjusting for each record. Now he's doing it himself! Once you hear that sweet spot you'll want to find it on every record. Ever try just a little cocaine? ;-)
You mean the drug that makes you a new man, except for the problem that now the new man wants his, too? Oy...
Dear Doug: As you know I'm a newcomer to this forum. In this time my perception is that you always give an answer " because you have to give an answer and argue about ". I explain this issue: you told us that " only takes 30 seconds for do a change an do a correct adjust to the VTA ", I wonder how in this 30 seconds anybody can do it. I gave to Samir two ways to adjust the VTA/SRA: by ear and " invert the polarity ...", these is the issue for Samir and I think that these elements can help him to do it and I urge him to enjoy the music and your answer is " that this adjust has to do in each record . This is what you are doing." I think that Samir, before doing this, have severals ways to improve the quality of him sound reproduction, but this is other history. Another exmaple: the stepup transformer issue (remember ? ): you put some answers defending the use of the stepup transformer because you use it, you never said " OK. I will try a preamp with a built in high gain phono stage and we will see what happen ". I think that the only way to learn ( all of us ) is having an " open mind ". I respet your ideas but I think that you need to change your attitude. BTW, in one of your answer to me you write: " I would never quarrel with your experiences ( wich exeed mine )...", I refer to this because like in the step up transformer I already live the experience, too, with the adjust in VTA/SRA, and like always I want that the people enjoy the music in an easy manner with top quality. At one time I was an audophile, like you, now I'm a music lover ( I always been a music lover ) at my home. I already pass for everything trying to find the best music reproduction. Now, I'm worried about to have the time to enjoy the music.
BTW, like Samir, you have severals paths for to have a better sound reproduction at your home, invest your time on it and share with all us your findings. That is what I'm trying to do.
God luck.
Raul.
As you yourself attest, Raul, you are a newcomer to this forum. As such, I think you are being a bit too sensitive and critical of Doug's responses. After you are here for a spell, I think you will come to appreciate that statement. He, like many others here, are hoping that readers will benefit from the sharing of HIS experiences, which is what I think he has done. Just because it doesn't match your experience doesn't mean he thinks you're wrong (recognizing that Doug can speak for himself). At the same time, you have given some sound advice which people have also read and can take or leave at their choosing.

As for adjusting VTA within 30 seconds, and assuming you have it close to begin with, how can that NOT be done? With someone sitting in the sweet spot and someone adjusting VTA on the fly, obvious changes are quickly determined. OK, maybe it would take a few such adjustments to agree on the exact spot, but you get the idea.

I would agree with your thesis on MC stages to a point. That point depends on the quality of equipment. Maybe, all things equal, your point is correct. However, from my EXPERIENCE, I have heard MC phono stages with external step-ups and internal step-ups that have sounded superior to contained MC phono stages. So, any kind of blanket statement in that respect is likely unfair.

Cheers to the music. On that I hope we can all agree!

I will give your VTA using inverted phase and mono linestage setting a go and report back!
Hi 4yanx: I really appreciate your answer. Thank's God, Doug don't match my experience, if this it happen then we don't have anything to talk about it.
My point is that, till now, Doug never open the window " to see what happen out side his home ". This is what I can see on my forum time. The stepup transformer was a transparent case on it, he write one and again defending what he has at home never told anything different on his position. He close the door. That's the point.
Anyway, TKS again for your answer and remember always enjoy the music.
Raul.