OK...I'm getting ready to buy a new Phono pre amp.

.........but......should I consider buying a new pre-amp first???? How about upgrading my TT???
I am very interested in replacing my ARC PH3 SE with a the Aesthetix Rhea. However, before I do that, do I replace my ARC LS 25 mkl with...the Calypso?? Then, maybe replace my Aries with the new VPI TNT X HR? I don't want to do this all at once so your advice would be helpful. Thanks all!
rwd
Dear friend: Great audio system. If you want to improve your quality analog audio reproduction I recomended that you have to change your pream/phono stage ( first ). The best is to buy a preamp with a built in phono stage ( no step up transformer inside ). I can tell you that if you do this then you will hear your records " for the first time ". If you use an outboard phono stage or stepup transformer then you are adding more stages to the signal chain that's comes from your cartridge ( the out board/step up transformer/stage, conectors, cables, etc. ) and doing this you ALWAYS degraded this critical and delicate audio signal. If you love the music: Don't do it any more.
Best regards.
Raul.
Hi Rwd: Now, if you change your Helikon for a better cartridge you can have an improvement in the quality of your analog sound reproduction. When you already have this cartridge then you can think in the phono preamp.
Always enjoy the music.
Raul.
You should try one of Graham Tricker's amps (GT Audio). He has a long pedigree in tube amps and has a small but committed group of devotees. You can find his stuff on http://www.tron-electric.com. I think Jim Smith from Avantgarde USA distributes his gear.

I have heard his tube set up at his house several times. He uses them with a Platine Verdier, Schroeder Reference, Allaerts MC2 Formula and Avantgrade Trios (he is the UK AG distributor). When you turn the volume pot full on phono with the Trios (107 db/W) , all you get is silence. Not only are they deadly quiet, they sound great too. I'm going to buy a Comet soon and sell my JC Verdier Control B. They can come as two box or one box pre-amps (with the phono stage built in). In the UK the one box Comet costs about £3k. The better Meteor costs £6k.
Hi Rwd: I think that is not a very good idea to buy the phono preamp that Topoxforddoc told you. I explain why:
- first: both units ( Comet and meteor ) are an outboard phono stage, so the signal has to goes trough additionals cables and connectors that degraded the critical signal that comes from your MC cartridge. - Second: Both units use ( internally ) transformers for achieve the gain for a MC cartridges, so here the signal again has to be degraded for many meters of wire in the transformer where the signal has to goes and- Third ( not last ): maybe the most critical issue in the analog sound reproduction: the RIAA frecuency response of those units; a good phono preamp design ( with a good execution of that design ) has to have a RIAA frecuency response of at least: +,- 0.1 db from
20Hz to 20,000 Khz. Those units has a deviation of ten times ( 1 db at 20Hz ) over this RIAA response, this number is by a high-end standard: inaceptable.
Once ( maybe still today ) the Vendetta Research was the standard, it has a RIAA frecuency response deviation from 20Hz to 20,000 Khz of only: 0.05 db, I think the FM Acoustic preamp meets this number, too. I'm not a man of electronic specifications but in the phono stage the RIAA frecuency response is extremly critical and no one has to leave " pass-on ".
BTW, I give you my advice: first change your phono cartridge ( trying to match with your tonearm ) for a better one and a second step will be to change your preamp for a new one that has a high gain ( depends of the phono cartridge ) buil-in phono stage ( with out transformers ).
Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
Rwd- I also am of the opinion that you already have good stuff.I personally would keep the PH3SE and look at finding a different cart first. Perhaps something that matches up better with the VPI JMW better. It seems to do better with the higher compliance cart around 15cu..like the Dynavector 17d2Mk2. Then you can add a high quality step up transformer like the Bent Audio MU( $775.00) (www.bentaudio.com.) which will also let you vary the load for the cart you choose. In this way you will optimize your playback and bring more life and dynamics to your music. This is the route I choose and am very happy with my Aries/JMW/ Dynavector and PH3 SE. Not saying you should not change anything like pre amp or table..but I would try to get the most of what you have also.. The suggestion of the simple tube swap is avalid idea also..The ARC's will respond nicely to something like the Siemens 7308's or Amperex BB 6DJ8's. Good luck!- Ken