Power Cord Lenght ? Better shorter or longer?

Any Sonic differences between lengths of power cords?I can use 4 ft. lenghts for most componets but thought I read that 5ft or 6ft min. was better for reasons I can't recall.Is lenght componet dependent as far as sonics go?Maybe a little longer or shorter is better for amps.Thanks,JD
128x128jdlepera
I am about to buy Pure Note power cable for my Krell equipment and they told me that length DOESN'T matter, so I'm going with the 3-ft length. The answer may be cable dependant.

Richard
On some powercords like the filled Shunyata cords it makes a bigger difference than say the Electraglides or Synergistic. We have experimented with many powercords and on every single brand that we tried a super long powercord it was better than a short one - - marginally. But for the costs difference it was just not worth it. Plus, where do you stick all the excess?
Some cords use specific geometries to achieve "filtering action". As such, altering the length can change the amount of total capacitance or inductance of the design which in turn alters the amount of "filtering" taking place. That would explain why a shorter cord ( less filtering ) might sound slightly inferior to a longer cord ( increased filtering ) cord. This assumes that the cords DID have some specific design and type of attenuation built into them. Otherwise it would not matter one iota other than the potential for greater series resistance and voltage drop with a longer cord. Sean
>
For all audio applications, shorter is better. For IC's, speaker cables, digital cables and power cords. For power cords and speaker cables, inductance is the parameter to be minimized and it increases with length.

If you are using the cable as a tone-control, then none of the above applies. But doing this guarantees that you will never get an accurate reproduction of the original performance.